Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Looking for a pre-built CI solution for web site template hosting

[eluser]Myles Wakeham[/eluser]
Just curious... We have a number of clients that want a simple few page website built that they can manage simply (something like what SquareSpace offer) but I'd like to have this as a service on our hosted servers that we can extend to them so they can do their own simple web pages, etc.

Does anyone know of a CMS that is really simple for non-techies to use that is written in CI that we might be able to offer them?

Myles

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
In how much of a hurry are you? And how complicated are your extensions going to be?

If you need something very flexible and high-end, check out my sig. If it should be simple and as standard CI as possible, I suggest looking at PyroCMS, which is probably easier to extend.

[quote author="WanWizard" date="1275087219"]In how much of a hurry are you? And how complicated are your extensions going to be?[/quote]

Not too complex. Most the users of this just need a 'landing page or three'. Basically a home, some detail, contact us... that sort of thing. A full CMS is really overkill for this.

Myles

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
That's exactly what pyrocms is for, brochureware sites for technically inept people, while maintaining secret hidden power for people who want to do more.

Thanks Phil. I tried PyroCMS just recently, but I think the problem is that what I need is something one step above a CMS - ie. something that isn't specific to the one domain that its for, but a solution where the user can register a domain and some form of 'automatic' website build is done, with standard options, etc. I believe a lot of the cPanel type web hosting companies have things like this, and there's always companies like SquareSpace for this sort of thing. I was just hoping for something in CI that I can offer to my users, but I think PyroCMS might be a bit too hard to setup on a per subscriber basis. Unless I'm missing something....

Is there anyway that it could compete with something like SquareSpace.com?

Myles

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
I really think you are looking for something that doesn't exist I'm afraid. The drag/drop functionality of SquareSpace is really quite advanced programming (at the scale that they offer.) Site building with a few clicks is more of a custom job. That kind of thing as a generic offering is just somehting I've never encountered. I think the suggestion to take something like PyroCMS and extend it heavily is your best bet (that or just be a reseller for SS. They offer that right?) Smile

Good Luck!

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
MojoMotor? http://mojomotor.com

Jamie

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
Wow, I missed the press release on that one. Can't view the video and not sure it's up to par with a hosted custom solution like SquareSpace (custom programmed on their servers only.) But this certainly looks promising. Messed with EE 2.0 and I personally find it much more complicated for the layperson. Hopefully, this bridges that gap. Gonna go install it now. Thanks for the link @Jamie.

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
Did I miss something? MojoMotor isn't released yet...?

[eluser]Buso[/eluser]
I couldn't see the video when they released it, and I still can't -.-

Oh and BTW, I have tried to install 2 or 3 versions of PyroCMS and it's still throwing ugly characters everywhere, and I didn't even pick a localisation or anything, so it kinda sux (no offense). Fix the charset or disable auto-localisation

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB