Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best email server app to use with codeigniter on windows?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello, I'm currently running XAMPP on windows 7 to test/learn web development. I'm trying to set my localhost up correctly so that I can test sending out activation emails for an application I'm helping with. For the config email.php, this is listed:

Code:
<?php  if ( ! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed');
$config['mailtype'] = 'html';
$config['charset'] =  'utf-8';
//Additional mail settings, uncomment as needed.
//$config['mailpath'] = ''; //Server path to sendmail. Default is /usr/sbin/sendmail
$config['protocol']= 'sendmail'; //Protocol to use for email. Can be mail,sendmail, or smtp. Default is mail.

//Below are used if you are sending a email via smtp
//$config['smtp_host'] = ''; //SMTP server address.
//$config['smtp_user'] = ''; //SMTP username
//$config['smtp_pass'] = ''; //SMTP password;
//$config['smtp_port'] = ''; //SMTP Port;
//$config['smtp_timeout'] = ''; //SMTP Timeout (in seconds);

?>

By default the developers have sendmail as the main protocol, but as I understand sendmail is a linux email application? Of the protocol options, mail, sendmail, and smtp. What would be the best protocol to select if my local server environment is Windows 7, and based on that protocol, would you have any suggestions for the best app that I could use to support it? Right now the application sends out an activation email with a reply link, and this is the only email functionality at the moment. Setting up an email server is new to me, I'm learning/reading up about the different protocols but I still feeling a little lost. I'm not sure if you require any additional information. Thanks!

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
This is the one I use.

Test Mail Server Tool

InsiteFX

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for your reply, lightweight and does the job(for testing at least)! Much appreciated. =)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB