Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[Beta] - Dove Forums - Download Release !!!

[eluser]Bainzy[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1284397571"]Hey Bainzy,

It's good to finally see an actively supported CI forum system on GitHub. I have seen countless forums come and go, most of them never getting past phpBB 1 quality.

I was hoping to have a play with this one but my development box is dead and your demo seems to be full of fail. When I get my box back (in about a week) I'd be very interested to play with this Lite edition. PyroCMS is in great need of a good forum system (my current one is 3 years old and cluuuuunky!) so a simple integration system would be sweet.

As a reminder, we're launching a Add-on Store for PyroCMS within a few weeks so if you'd like to look at this yourself you'd be one of the first modules on there. 80% for developers. :)[/quote]

hey Phil,

can you explain what you mean about the demo being full of fail ? it should be ok now, the problem was i was sharing the database of my demo with my development system and i have just being chaning the database structure to allow for some growth Smile so i am sorry about that ( demo and development now running seperate databases *slaps head*) Please try the demo again and report any bugs so that i can jump on them and cure them Smile.

While your here phil i just want to say thank you, i have found your posts / blog very helpful while i have being developing this and i beleive i am running your template library at the moment ( cant remember if it was you as done have my thanks list with me ). If it is your library however i have modified it to allow for a theme to be set in the database and do the template engine works with modular seperation by changing some file paths Smile

I am extreamly interested in the add-on store and i am sure once i get this version finished we can have a chat about intergrating Dove Forums into PyroCMS. Smile

Regards
Chris

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Full of fail just means there are lots of errors. I can see the homepage now but not much more:

http://www.doveforums.com/dovelite/forum...78fcee65f6

I know its an early version so I wasn't being rude, just letting you know there are lots of errors at the moment.

If you are using my Template library you wouldn't need to modify it to do either of those things. In your MY_Controller you can do $this->template->set_theme() with a value from your database to set it.

You might want to create some other base classes, instead of just MY_Controller so your Admin and frontend stuff can hold different data. Perhaps Forum_Controller (set_theme can go in there) and Admin_Controller would work pretty well? That would slot into Pyro nicely and I know many other people using Admin_Controller. With modular separation they would be automatically autoloaded anyhow so no dirty include lines would be needed. Anyone else using this would need MS to get your module recognized so that wouldn't be adding a new dependency.

[eluser]Bainzy[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1284401156"]Full of fail just means there are lots of errors. I can see the homepage now but not much more:

http://www.doveforums.com/dovelite/forum...78fcee65f6

I know its an early version so I wasn't being rude, just letting you know there are lots of errors at the moment.

If you are using my Template library you wouldn't need to modify it to do either of those things. In your MY_Controller you can do $this->template->set_theme() with a value from your database to set it.

You might want to create some other base classes, instead of just MY_Controller so your Admin and frontend stuff can hold different data. Perhaps Forum_Controller (set_theme can go in there) and Admin_Controller would work pretty well? That would slot into Pyro nicely and I know many other people using Admin_Controller. With modular separation they would be automatically autoloaded anyhow so no dirty include lines would be needed. Anyone else using this would need MS to get your module recognized so that wouldn't be adding a new dependency.[/quote]

Ahh now i know which errors you are refering to Smile yeah these were not there this morning, I have being using Parser today to remove PHP from the views and I was getting the front page running so them errors are being generated because rather then looking for $navigation in a view its getting {navigation}. I have being busy this afternoon adding in a settings system and permissions system however these are only in basic format at the moment as i have not ever done anything like this before.

I do have a MY_Controller at the moment and a Admin controller and this is doing alot in the background it also means i can cut down php by using $this->mySetting Smile im still learning codeigniter and trying to use the pre made features.

I was not aware of the $this->template->set_theme() however now i know its there i will revert and use it Smile ... helps if i read all the userguide.

The problem i was having was with the views, as my folder structure is now like this

system
-modules
--forums
---views
----themes
-----THEMENAME

and when i tried to use the template library out of the box it threw up errors as it did not know the way to my new themes directory. Maybe you know a work around ? as now the template.php library looks like this file_exists(APPPATH .'modules/forums/views/ so all i have done is told it where to look.

As i say im very new to this but always learning and finding better ways to do things.

P.S.... you can play with my first version here http://www.doveforums.com/demo/forums/topics but the errors should be gone shortly ... just need to finish up some css Smile

Yeah move modules to application Big Grin

system should stay clear and unmodified other than extra languages. Also it's easier if you move application up one folder so it sites next to system, thats the new standard in CI 2.0.

Another thought, instead of using YAAS (Yet another Authentication System) have you looked into some existing ones? The more existing code you use the better chances of wider support. Ben Edmunds Ion Auth is currently the most popular, and happens to be the one we use on PyroCMS. If you switched to using that you'd have a huuuuuuuge base of apps that would be really easy to integrate with and its flexible enough for you to use without any hackery.

[eluser]Bainzy[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1284402253"]Another thought, instead of using YAAS (Yet another Authentication System) have you looked into some existing ones? The more existing code you use the better chances of wider support. Ben Edmunds Ion Auth is currently the most popular, and happens to be the one we use on PyroCMS. If you switched to using that you'd have a huuuuuuuge base of apps that would be really easy to integrate with and its flexible enough for you to use without any hackery.[/quote]

Humm to be honest i never thought of looking into any :S i was just having a go at doing on myself, but now you mention it maybe i should switch over Smile ill look into it when i get in from work this evening and see how much i have to change but i guess it should not take me long.

I ment Application before :S not system ... not my day today lol.

Ahh I see! Your themes directory goes into application next to modules and everything else.

[eluser]Bainzy[/eluser]
so if i copy my themes directory and put it under applications directory the template library will still be looking for views directory though :S even before i changed the code ... will it not :S

[eluser]Bainzy[/eluser]
ahh just checked my library ... i am not using your template library i am currently using Colin Williams library.

Ha! We'll don't Smile My Template library was designed to work with modules and themes, his is awesome but does not support those as well.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB