Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Seeking a Mentor for a NewBee

[eluser]hcri50[/eluser]
I have just finished a project for the UC Davis Cancer Center which I have done in a program called iShell
Please see what one portion of the application looks like

hcri.com/sample/navigatorScreenShot.png

Some friends have requested if I could help out the Cancer Center by creating a program which they desperate needed. Their budget was cut by 80% and needed a software program that would be able to team together Newly diagnosed CancerPatients to in remission Cancer Patient with the same type of cancer.

They discovered that anything that had the word DataBase and multiple DataBases meant Big Bucks. Since I have my own server and my own databases, I offered my services for free, donating the program, server and database.

Now that I got this working like a charm, I would like to bring this application to php so that I can transfer this over to the UC Davis Cancer to their servers and database. But the only way that would happen if I would create the program in php.

I would need some guidance here and there on setting it up and from time to time ask a question on how to solve certain functions.

As stated that I do have this model fully functional to my server as a FatClient. So, I know that the php scripts that I have are working perfectly reading and posting.

My first question would be
I am having problems on configuring CodeIgniter for my laptop a MacPro 17 inch Intel
I do not have mySQL installed on my laptop.
I did upload CodeIngnitor to the main directory of my website.

Where can I find the documentation on configuring properly to read my database files for codeIgnitor

I went through the documentation and I am not grasping it. Maybe I am dense, but it has been along time since I did hard code scripting.

Sincerely,
robert

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="hcri50" date="1285044585"]I have just finished a project for the UC Davis Cancer Center which I have done in a program called iShell
Please see what one portion of the application looks like

hcri.com/sample/navigatorScreenShot.png

Some friends have requested if I could help out the Cancer Center by creating a program which they desperate needed. Their budget was cut by 80% and needed a software program that would be able to team together Newly diagnosed CancerPatients to in remission Cancer Patient with the same type of cancer.

They discovered that anything that had the word DataBase and multiple DataBases meant Big Bucks. Since I have my own server and my own databases, I offered my services for free, donating the program, server and database.

Now that I got this working like a charm, I would like to bring this application to php so that I can transfer this over to the UC Davis Cancer to their servers and database. But the only way that would happen if I would create the program in php.

I would need some guidance here and there on setting it up and from time to time ask a question on how to solve certain functions.

As stated that I do have this model fully functional to my server as a FatClient. So, I know that the php scripts that I have are working perfectly reading and posting.

My first question would be
I am having problems on configuring CodeIgniter for my laptop a MacPro 17 inch Intel
I do not have mySQL installed on my laptop.
I did upload CodeIngnitor to the main directory of my website.

Where can I find the documentation on configuring properly to read my database files for codeIgnitor

I went through the documentation and I am not grasping it. Maybe I am dense, but it has been along time since I did hard code scripting.

Sincerely,
robert[/quote]

Have you tried MAMP? I don't develop on a Mac, so I use XAMPP or WAMP, but you should look into MAMP. MAMP probably offers an installer that will set up your complete server environment. Docs for setting up the database config would be in the Database class area of the user guide, which is located in the CI download, and also on this website. It's super easy to understand once you actually read it, so go ahead and read it, and then report back with other questions.

[eluser]hcri50[/eluser]
first of all, ' THANK YOU VERY MUCH"
I am looking forward to developing this FatClient to php. I have been looking forward to a worthy project to start and this is certainly one.
It makes it much easier once you a working project.I will report back.
thank you
robert

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Good luck Robert. Nice to see there are developers out there who are willing to work for free for a good cause. Let me know if you need any help and I might be able to assist with some of your development.

[eluser]hcri50[/eluser]
There are things that are more important than money. Helping newly diagnosed cancer patients is a cause worth doing. I spent 6 months in developing this program.
Every time I thought that I was finished, there came another request to add somthing else. And that happened many times during the development.

But, I have never said no, and always ready to help. Now, the time has come to getting this application for prime time.

I just installed XAMPP and still confused on how to get this running locally ?

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Once you install XAMPP you should be presented with the option of running Apache and MySQL as a service if you're using windows. Then go to your browser and type "http://localhost" to see if a welcome to XAMPP page shows up.

[eluser]hcri50[/eluser]
OK, I got XAMPP running, I have

Apache Green LIght
MySQL Green LIght
FTP Green LIght

Now, that I have this running, Do I transfer the CodeIgniter_1.7.2

Can you please tell me where I should put this folder " CodeIgniter_1.7.2 "
Do I put the folder in the directory of htdocs??

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME

By default XAMPP is set up to run a single website, and if you just need the one website, then unpack CI into htdocs. If you need to run more than one website, then you will need to fool around with the vhosts file that is inside apache/conf/extras. You'd also need to change your hosts file. I'm running XAMPP and have used WAMP too. I presume that because you are dealing with patient data, you will need SSL, and XAMPP comes with that set up by default.

[eluser]hcri50[/eluser]
yes, I am dealing with data files, and SSL is being used.

I guess the next step is for me to go to the database file and get it to talk to the database.

Man, I am getting closer to getting to work with CL.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. It helps to have someone guiding me with the process.

I will be starting with the database tomorrow night.
Thank you Brian, my fellow Californian.

[quote author="hcri50" date="1285064469"]yes, I am dealing with data files, and SSL is being used.

I guess the next step is for me to go to the database file and get it to talk to the database.

Man, I am getting closer to getting to work with CL.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. It helps to have someone guiding me with the process.

I will be starting with the database tomorrow night.
Thank you Brian, my fellow Californian.[/quote]

Well, it's too bad you are so far away. If you and I could sit in front of a computer together, I'd surely teach you everything you need to know about CI in a couple of hours. If you haven't already seen the video tutorials over at nettuts+, they are excellent for getting acquainted with CI.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB