Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
please stop supporting PHP4 !

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
OK, but if your hosting is PHP4, or your code is PHP4, or you are a PHP4 fan, or you one of the fantastic four, you can still using CI 1.7.x.
I mean, CI has a solution for PHP4 right now, and is really good, but there isn't any solution for PHP5, and that's really bad, because there are much(!) more people needing CI with PHP5 that CI with PHP4, which already exists so you are not leaving them alone... just out of date, and that's is not a problem for people using PHP4 after all...

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
[quote author="techgnome" date="1286837299"]
[sneeze]nottrue(re: php4 not "existing")[/sneeze]...
My host still supports php4 by default...
[/quote]

WatwatWHAAAAT! Really? I work in hosting business and every new site has been pointed to server with PHP5 for about 5 years(about the time it was stable enough to do so, around 2004-2005). We have still couple of servers with PHP4 for old sites but we have moved lots of old sites to a new server whenever possible. Back then we didnt just upgrade PHP 4 to PHP 5. We bought new servers, installed PHP5 to them and all new domains were created there. And if someone complained that their site did not work in PHP5, it usually was just a matter of applying compatibilty mode(register_long_arrays option and maybe register_globals) in vhost or .htaccess. This worked 99.7% of the time and we didnt have to move the site to server with PHP 4.

If your host really has PHP4 as default in the year 2010, I would not trust them much because PHP 4 IS dead and has been quite a while and there wont be any security fixes or anything anymore and should have not been used for new sites for a looong time.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
[quote author="enridp" date="1286848237"]WanWizard, if we are using CI we are NOT using PHP5[/quote]
And what exactly makes it not qualify as PHP5? My system reports PHP 5.3.3. And CI runs. So it is PHP5? I don't see an error message?

[quote author="enridp" date="1286848237"]That's the reason why Kohana exists after all, and that's the reason why many CI's users are using now Kohana.
And that's the reason why CI must be PHP5 from the core.[/quote]
So "lots of people" are using Kohana simply because the don't state their code is PHP4 compatible? Sounds a bit like "I use Office 2010, because it doesn't work on Windows 98".

[quote author="enridp" date="1286848237"]I can't understand why you are resisting to that, do you really think that PHP4 is better than PHP5?[/quote]
I don't resist anything, and I certainly believe that PHP5 has features that PHP4 doesn't have, and that are very useful.

My point is that instead of moaning about PHP versions, at least moan about (lack of) PHP5+ features in CI. And why you should think they should be used or be part of CI.
Start by explaining what you currently miss in terms of functionality in CI, that can only be archieved by PHP5+ features?

Then we can have a constructive discussion.

[eluser]Bart v B[/eluser]
[quote author="cahva" date="1286853888"][quote author="techgnome" date="1286837299"]
If your host really has PHP4 as default in the year 2010, I would not trust them much because PHP 4 IS dead and has been quite a while and there wont be any security fixes or anything anymore and should have not been used for new sites for a looong time.[/quote]

That is what i mean. Just go with the flow Wink
Things changes.. Frameworks getting better, people getting smarter, hosters.. :coolsmirk: i hope so.. (smarter)

When people have a big problem with securety.. Problem solved!
When the framework is not working people moves to another hoster.. Problem solved!
Hoster anno 2010 with php4 as default... Problem Solved!

:lol:

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
Let's simplyfy...
PHP5 is better, secure and faster than PHP4 right?
PHP5 is in every host in the world (if not, it doesn't deserve to be called host)
PHP4 is dead
There are a LOT of people asking for CI with strict PHP5
People needing CI with PHP4 has CI 1.7, people needing strict PHP5 (for better coding performance features, etc) has nothing.

So, please, why you will release the new CI2 with PHP4! please don't do it! Sad

[eluser]theprodigy[/eluser]
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I write my controllers with PHP5 syntax:
Code:
class Users extends Controller{
   public function __construct()
   {
      parent::__construct();
   }
}
vs the PHP4 syntax:
Code:
class Users extends Controller{
   public function Users()
   {
      parent::Controller();
   }
}

and it works just fine.

I have libraries using some of the magic methods (like __get, __call, etc), and it works without a hitch.

CI works with PHP5. Just because the framework itself doesn't use strict PHP5, doesn't mean you can't. What's the big deal? If your server runs PHP5, CodeIgniter will run in PHP5.

Honestly, what are you trying to do in PHP5 that CI won't let you do?

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
is not about my custom projects, or our own classes, is about the framework, with PHP5 you can add a lot of features and CI will be faster and more secure.
At really, I can't understand why you are resisting to the change.
The question is not why PHP5, it's: why not!

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
If you look at the 2 base classes you will see that there is 1 for PHP4
and 1 for PHP5.

Also you have to remember that Expression Engine is built using CodeIgniter
so I am sure that EllisLabs is going to change things very slow so not to
disrupt there flagship product!

If you want PHP5 then just use it, it's there thats what the 2 base classes are for!

InsiteFX

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Looks like they dumped it from the current 2.0 branch according to the blog... Smile

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Yes they have now DUMPED it.

InsiteFX

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB