Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
sendmail supported in Code Igniter, but not postfix or exim

[eluser]wonjun[/eluser]
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie starting out and I'm wondering if anyone has used postfix or exim using CodeIgniter or if that is possible.

I read that we can set up CodeIgniter to use sendmail, but on articles like this, http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison

sendmail is supposed to be not as good as other two MTAs.

Could you please let me know if I should look into using postfix or exim, if so, where I should I begin?

Thank you!

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
Unless you specify differently, CI will just use the standard mail() function. As to which binary actually gets called, is determined in your php.ini file. Often it's something like /usr/sbin/sendmail. If your server uses a different MTA, the package installer (Apt or Yum, etc) is smart enough to replace that symlink (they typically are symlinks) to point to it's very own binaries. So you could probably install exim or postfix and this would be transparent to PHP.

Even if you use a config array with 'mailpath' set and you have 'protocol' set to 'sendmail' instead of 'mail', you can still point that variable to the postfix or exim binary paths (which is probably unnecessary still because of the package installer setup I mentioned.)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB