Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Installing CodeIgnitor

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hey All,

I have read over the installation instructions on the CI site, but I'm pretty confused right now. It says to put everything in the root directory, and one of the files that belong to the CI setup is an index.php file, this looks like a configuration file (correct me if i'm wrong), but the part i'm confused about is, if I am supposed to put the CodeIgnitor index.php file in the root directory, then where am I supposed to put my own website's index.php file, and other files?

Thanks,
Jason

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Hi Jason,

You need to install software like XAMPP, WAMP or if on a mac I think its MAMP not sure.

Then you will need to create a directory under www or htdocs depending on which one you install.

For example:

-- myapp
---- codeigniter goes here

InsiteFX

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks InsiteFX,

I am hosting my site and CI on Winhost.com. I don't use personal web servers like wamp or abyss or xampp. However, that is the exact directory structure I currently have with my hosting provider.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
If it's a live site then it should install into the directory that
you end up in when you go to your site.

public_html etc.

InsiteFX

[eluser]teampoop[/eluser]
[quote author="jpezzimenti" date="1291449601"]if I am supposed to put the CodeIgnitor index.php file in the root directory, then where am I supposed to put my own website's index.php file, and other files?

Thanks,
Jason[/quote]

So your CI index.php would replace your current site.. That being said, if you don't want that to happen, you need to install it in a sub directory of your main website. IE: Your main website is http://www.awesomeness.com and your folders are in public_html. You would install CI into public_html/ignited and the URL for your site would be http://www.awesomeness.com/ignited

HTH

ps: on a mac you don't need to install a web server, it comes with Apache.

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
[quote author="jpezzimenti" date="1291449601"]Hey All,
one of the files that belong to the CI setup is an index.php file, this looks like a configuration file (correct me if i'm wrong)
[/quote]

Yes and No. When organizing a site with CI, your users will always go to index.php, whether they know it or not. The system starts at index.php. There are variables that you can change in that file, but removing the file would mean CI would not work. So does it have configuration properties, yes, but is it a configuration file, no.

Cheers,

nZac

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB