Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Apache2 + CI

[eluser]gh05t[/eluser]
Hi everybody,

I started developing a web application with CI about a week ago on localhost (XAMPP on Windows 7) everything was going great until I needed to use some UNIX commands so I migrated to VPS. I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04, Apache2. I've successfully installed Postfix and MySQL. It all has been tested and working.

The problem is when I try to visit my site the screen just goes blank. There's no error message neither from Apache nor from CI. It's just white. When I create a sample file with <?php echo 'ohai';?> it works fine, phpinfo() also works. Just can get CI working. I've changed base url in config, triple-checked .htaccess and I ran out of ideas.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
Welcome to the forums!
If you are trying to use a .htaccess file make sure you have a ? in your rule.
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L]

In your application/config/config.php bump your $config['log_threshold'] to 4, and reload the page. Then check in /system/logs for a file created on todays date. Also check in the index.php in your root for your error_reporting level
Code:
error_reporting(E_ALL); //This should display errors

Typically the blank screen is caused by a php error with error_reporting() turned off.

[eluser]gh05t[/eluser]
Thank you for such a hasty response. I did all of the above, restarted apache - page is still blank. I'm seriously considering deploying a fresh copy of CI on the server and copying my code.

You can try reuploading the system folder again. Have you check error reporting level in you php.ini file. Depending on server configuration, this may have to be edited in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini.

What about file permissions as well. If you have downloaded in your home folder and extracted, then copied over to /var/www. Make sure that the files in /var/www have the correct permissions and ownership.

[eluser]gh05t[/eluser]
I did the following thing: compressed the application to a single *.zip file on my machine (I don't fully trust FTP), uploaded it on the server, unzipped. Instead of putting it in root dir, I created a subdirectory. It works only in a subdirectory, I get 404 if I put it in root. Now the strange part: only the default controller works but nothing else, whenever I try to access any other controller I get 404.

It's not a permission issue, I went chmod -R 777 on the entire folder. Error reporting is enabled.

chmod only makes is writable, but owned by you not apache (www-data). Try
Code:
cd /var/www
chown -R www-data:www-data *

This will change file ownership to apache's group. It may not be a bad idea to add your username to the www-data group.

[eluser]gh05t[/eluser]
Still 404. *sigh*

Is it an apache 404 or a CI 404? CI 404 has the red letters with the grey border.

[eluser]gh05t[/eluser]
It's an Apache 404.

I'm going through apache2 configuration and logs, hoping I'll find something.

I logged into my Ubuntu box and here is my /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
Code:
DocumentRoot /var/www
    <Directory />
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>
    <Directory /var/www/>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny