Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
On considering CodeIgniter

[eluser]JacobWarren[/eluser]
I've been thinking about starting web app development with CodeIgniter. Before I do, I would like to be sure of a few things.

1) For you web app developers, when you build an app do you usually create a back-end for administrative purposes? If so, are back-ends necessary for web applications?

2) For creating an application that has several different user roles (ie. free, basic, pro), would you just create a row "role" under table "users?" If so, would you create different sign up forms for each role?

Thank you all!

[eluser]Mutsop[/eluser]
Well I'm still a rookie in all this...
But it all depends on how big your project is. But how small your project may look like, a backend panel can always come in handy.

About the roles, I usually set a different table called "groups" or "roles" in your case.
Or you could propably set an enumerator roles in your user table itself. Some hate this, some love it.

Thank you Mutsop! Are there any specific authentication libraries made especially for web apps that have users under several different roles?

When I make a WordPress site that needs to have membership I typically use aMember, but I'm actually pretty new to real programming. I don't think I could make aMember work with CodeIgniter, and even if I could I don't know if it would be the safest way.

[eluser]Cristian Gilè[/eluser]
ion auth

Cristian Gilè

Alright, I'm planning the page layout, and I took a look at the basecamphq.com website, and I noticed that to login you actually go through a subdomain on the 37signals.com website. Does this mean that the sites are run through the same framework? How do they run the application through a subdomain on a separate site?

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
[quote author="JacobWarren" date="1295262486"]Alright, I'm planning the page layout, and I took a look at the basecamphq.com website, and I noticed that to login you actually go through a subdomain on the 37signals.com website. Does this mean that the sites are run through the same framework? How do they run the application through a subdomain on a separate site?[/quote]

There are numerous ways of doing it, but probably sharing the same database most likely and each site is merely looking up a table to see if you've logged in elsewhere and then logging you in if you have, etc.

I was once in your position, but jumped into Codeigniter and am glad I did. It was either Codeigniter or Zend Framework because my work uses Zend, definitely choose Codeigniter best framework ever.

Alright, thank you very much Vheissu!

My last question is how do you handle recurring monthly payments for subscriptions? Is there a PayPal framework that handles this?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB