Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Which PDF-library to use?

[eluser]mvdg27[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I've been browsing the forums for a bit for ways to create PDF's with PHP/Codeigniter. Quite a few are mentioned and they vary in functionality and ease of use etc.

For a specific project I'm looking for a PDF library that is easy to use and can produce high quality images. Especially the image quality is paramount, as the PDF's are meant to be printed on a sticker sheet by a printing company.

My workflow will be like this:

1) User uploads an image
2) User manipulates the image using javascript (zooming and panning)
3) On submit the uploaded image will be positioned in the PDF at the right zoomlevel and the right x,y position
4) The PDF is sent to the printer who can now lay down his templates for printing and stenciling always on the same position.

Can anyone advise me on a library that would be fit to do this?

Thanks in advance! -Michiel

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
I'm not sure how much this will help, since I'm looking for a similar thing. Currently I'm using fpdf, mainly because I could get it to print my localization reliably and it works even on servers without pdflib, though I wouldn't call it friendly by any means. Maybe someone could comment on library tcpdf, that is present in the wiki section, i think that's the only one posted here. Haven' tried it myself, got fed up with it trying to force it to display central european.

I just have a word of warning about the quality of pdf, since I have a bit of experience regarding print pdfs. Any images that i managed to manipulate with imagemagick/js tricks was lacking in quality. I was planning to make a customizable printed publications, but the quality was awful, so I gave up on it for now. So, if anyone has a tip/solution, i'd be grateful as well.

[eluser]bonatoc[/eluser]
tcpdf is the best PDF library out there, IMHO.

It's a library capable of handling CMYK 300 dpi images, or vector (.ai, .eps), generating barcodes, etc.

http://www.tcpdf.org/examples.php

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
Yes, it might be. It looked very nice, but I couldn't make it work for my encoding (central european). I'm now using dompdf, which is very easy to setup and ok to use. I actually learned some new css Smile I'm now eagerly recommending it around, cause you only pass a wiev into it and voila. More info about it here.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB