Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Reactor Engineers

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
I'm totally disappointed with the lack of insight you all have. You have implemented a few lame and worthless changes to CI based on idiot requests from people who have very little understanding of this framework and nothing you have done has made CI any better than it's core version. Shame on you.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Wiredesignz,

I'm sort of with you on this one. I mean, I've seen changes on the repo, but nothing substantial. I thought Reactor was meant to be a more bleeding edge version of Core CI? The number one requested feature for Reactor on the UserVoice forum is an auth library with nearly 1000 votes and yet they're spending time on things like a commentable user guide.

I am all for a user guide with comments, but it's not urgent, I have done without such a feature for as long as I've been with this framework. The reason for not implementing an auth class yet is because they claim to not know how to do it? Aren't a couple of people on the Reactor development team also contributors to the FuelPHP framework which sports a driver based authentication system with ACL? And yet they proclaim they don't know how to do it in CI yet.

I wish there were others out there who are as willing as I am to fork Codeigniter ourselves and actually get stuff done like a driver based auth library for starters. If Reactor is meant to be about what the community wants, why is it the most requested and reasonable requests are being ignored?

[eluser]moodh[/eluser]
God the whine... Give it some time, at least things move forward. If you don't like it do something about it yourself instead of just the usual whine whine whine whine whine whine. Code the goddamn ACL library yourself if you want it.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
[quote author="narcisha" date="1297272379"]God the whine... Give it some time, at least things move forward. If you don't like it do something about it yourself instead of just the usual whine whine whine whine whine whine. Code the goddamn ACL library yourself if you want it.[/quote]

This thread has nothing to do with ACL, ACL is not auth. I merely pointed out some kind of auth library is wanted it nearly has 1000 votes on UserVoice and yet other little requests are filled. Is it better to do lots of little tasks or do bigger tasks that take more time but are more rewarding and worth waiting for?

As for coding something myself, I have. But the advantages of something being bundled with CI would mean you wouldn't have to fear changes would break your library, even if they are small ones like the change of parent models and controllers.

The problem isn't things aren't being done, it's insignificant things people have hardly requested are being worked on instead. I call that laziness, not progress. If a couple of the developers already wrote a driver based auth system for the Fuel framework, it proves that they can write an auth library for Reactor. Heck, borrow the code from Fuel and change it up, maybe without the ACL part.

And for the record I would love to contribute to Reactor, but I don't get the feeling that Reactor is as community oriented as it proclaims to be. I feel as though any progress I make or anything I do for Reactor will be scrutinised by the six developers and it won't be used.

Next time post something constructive instead of trying to fuel the flames of discontent..

[eluser]Rodrigo Ferreira[/eluser]
Interesting. If they change the core substantially, people complain. If they don't, people complain. So, in the end of the day, people WILL complain. C'est la vie. The only thing I do not comprehend is why those genius that love to complain don't fork the repository and submit the desired changes themselves. Of course they won't get paid for that. But the Reactor engineers also won't... So I can't see the point.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Vheissu we have been talking on UserVoice and I have already explained to you half of these points.

1. "Aren’t a couple of people on the Reactor development team also contributors to the FuelPHP framework"

Nope, just me.

2. "yet they proclaim they don’t know how to do it in CI yet."

Of course we could roll FuelPHP's Auth system or Kohana's Auth system. Why aren't we? Because it would go against the CodeIgniter principles of simplicity and a low barrier to entry. I love the auth system in Fuel but it is bloody complicated for new users and would be REALLY out of place.

Quote:And for the record I would love to contribute to Reactor, but I don’t get the feeling that Reactor is as community oriented as it proclaims to be.

We talked about Ion Auth and we have all agreed it is not powerful or flexible enough. You said you wanted to create a fork of Ion Auth and I told you to go for it. Please do! If it fits the bill then it will be merged, if it does not we will provide feedback until it does meet the standard.

If we did not scrutinize then you guys would complain that we just let any old code in. I have had to recode some of my own libraries to get them anywhere near close and still none of them are 100% ready ;-)

Quote:I’m totally disappointed with the lack of insight you all have. You have implemented a few lame and worthless changes to CI

We are all agreed (Reactor Engineers and EllisLab) that for now the changes would not be huge. Nobody came into this wanting or expecting to re-develop the entire framework and lets be honest, if we did people would go nuts!

Slow change for now, more awesome coming soon. We can't rush anything and we are all doing this in our spare time. If you guys want to contribute then go ahead. I'll be bloody glad to see anyone contributing code to the core. The Engineers are here to help facilitate that.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
These are all the problems that I have with all of this!

1) Users are complaining about problems!
But they are not specifing if the problem is with the Reactor or with CodeIgniter version!

2) People on these forums are telling users to download the new version from bit bucket!
But they are not specifing to download from the Reactor or CodeIgniter bit bucket!

3) In my opinion the Reactor stuff should not even be discussed in the CodeIgniter Forums,
The Reactor should have it's own Forum. This would solve all of the above!

InsiteFX

Actually you are a little off there InsiteFX.

Reactor IS CodeIgniter. If you download CodeIgniter from the homepage, you get Reactor. If you look at the user-guide, you are looking at the Reactor documentation.

EllsLab are considering making an extra forum for Core users, but Reactor is the main thing here.

BitBucket is just a place to go to get involved with the code.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Phil,

I have started writing an auth library, but time is major a restriction for me as I also work full-time with lots of overtime hours and balance freelance as well. Instead of forking Ion Auth I have started writing a role based auth library called WolfAuth: https://github.com/Vheissu/WolfAuth-for-Codeigniter-2.0- it's not driver based at present.

I was thinking of using the Codeigniter drivers functionality in 2.0, but due to lack of documentation and not much time to sift through code, I've shelved that for now. The library at present mostly works, but I've hardly tested it really.

You can restrict controllers and functions by using the restrict() and restrict_usernames functions which let you restrict things to role IDs and usernames (which works). But because I am only one person, things take longer and because I have most likely not been careful / repeated myself big time in parts of the code, I'll probably have to rewrite the code-base a little.

If others would like to contribute to the library, please by all means do so. Any contribution to the library would be appreciated. I would like to get it to the point where integrating it and using it is really easy. I am using helper functions a lot to simplify things instead of having to go $this->wolfauth->login you can go login(), etc.

Back to the situation at hand. Because all of the developers on the Reactor team have varying opinions, personal preferences and their own ways of how things should be done, won't this hamper any chance of an auth library being integrated into Reactor, amongst other needed things? How are things decided? Is it majority wins?

What is the process of fixing / integrating something in Codeigniter Reactor? Also, do EllisLab get any say in what you integrate as well? The process doesn't seem overly transparent to me and I am sure others as well.

We all have vary opinions but share the goal of where CodeIgniter should go. If something needs a vote we all have a look and if the majority of Engineers like it the change will be merged. That said if two are STRONGLY against it we will of course have a talk as to why and see if we can find a solution.

The process is not "overly transparent" because there isn't one. You just contact us through whatever means with a link to your code and whoever sees it first will review it and send it around to the others.

We aren't robots in a corporate machine, just some guys who are on IRC, email, UserVoice etc. We all get a daily summary of UiserVoice so if you post your link on there we'll see it.

EllisLab reserve the right to force us to revert a change if they really hate it, but that is just a disclaimer. On the whole we are left to our own devises.

The first change I'd suggest would be to rename the actual library to Auth instead of WolfAuth, but the project name does not need to change.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB