Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
UI Design Tips And Tricks

[eluser]TornUp[/eluser]
Hi All,

This isn't really CI related, more web app development in general...
My Question is really in regards to how you handle your user interface, what I mean is that I tend to spend as much time (if not more) designing/coding and debugging my layout… does anyone have any tips on how they build their layouts quickly, I use some frameworks already(I love with a passion the 960GS)

Or do I just have to face facts and admit to myself, building web apps is a 50/50 split between designing the interface and the backend CI code…

Any Tips or tricks, maybe you have a CSS file that is so refined you can drop a standard form element in and it will format the margins and stuff without much customization required?

Many Thanks,
Tom.

[eluser]Zaher Ghaibeh[/eluser]
for me i used to use 960.gs CSS framework , and i still use it , but am so sure hows going to work with me & HTML5, since i didnt do it yet , but am sure it was going to work fine..
when i tried Zend Framework, i was amazed by the ability of creating a simple layout which my all project or some of it will depend on , but this features is for some how is missing in CI , and i cant say that CI can compete with Zend in many acpects but each FrameWork has its advantages and disadvantages.
any way ..
my first project i used a lib to use Smarty3 with CI and it was fine , the next project i found another contribution which is i think it can fill the layout gab which is the CodeIgniter Layout, which i think it will help you to start fast .

thats what i have for now ..

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
My answer, use a template library of your choice. You have several to choose from. I use Comper, because it enables me to leave the file structure of the template more or less intact (I could even use html instead of tpl but I don't for security reasons), but there is atleast Phil Sturgeons' and this one.

I have a designer that does most of the frontend work and before it took a lot of time to adapt her designs. She uses 960 and some cssreset thingy to keep the stuff in order. But in reality the design eats up a lot of time if you want to do it right. Might as well get used to it Sad

She now just commits the design onto git server that we use, I then make small adjustments regarding frontpage and detailpages using includes and conditionals and put everything into my structure. I have the more complex data passed trough views in my hmvc structure (i use modular extensions), so I have a kind of skinnable cms with modules at my hand. I'm trying to improve my workflow as I go along, so I'm open to any new suggestions as well.

[quote author="Zaher Ghaibeh" date="1302895353"]...i found another contribution which is i think it can fill the layout gab which is the CodeIgniter Layout, which i think it will help you to start fast .[/quote]

You have a quick example to go with that? CBA to read trough the library and I couldn't find anything regarding it on forums or the web. The lack of documentation kinda turns me off, though...

[eluser]Zaher Ghaibeh[/eluser]
you dont need to do anything after setting it up ..
it will capture your automatically ...

in your controller you will need to use the view as normal ..
i didnt do anything except editing the layout.php in the config directory to match my code ..

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Sorry for hijacking your thread, TornUp.

[eluser]tresloukadu[/eluser]
hello i made a template management.. inspired on wordpress.. you upload the theme/folder in views and goes in config and informe the name of the theme/folder and thats it. If u guys have interest i can share the code and ideas.. is kinda simple but is being useful in my projects...

Please do share how you do it, tresloukadu, I'm really interested in seeing other solutions. I did a similar thing using comper but I can't avoid the feeling that I'm overcomplicating it.

[eluser]tresloukadu[/eluser]
Ok my friend. I'm will have holidays on thursday and friday and I will organize the code to share. Im saving your message with a star to don't forget = )

see you

Cool, looking forward to it

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB