Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Testing Codeigniter Application Locally

[eluser]dgriffter[/eluser]
Hi,

I have a web app written in CodeIgniter which I have to alter. In order for the app to work on my local machine, would I first have to install CodeIgniter on my localhost? If this is the case, which folders/files would I have to import onto my local machine to perform testing? I assume I wouldn't have to re-write the entire app again.

Thank you all in advance for your help, I'm very new to all this.

Dgriffter

[eluser]thurting[/eluser]
CI is just a bunch of files, so there isn't anything to install. Just download the project in question and you should be fine. You will most likely have to make some config changes for everything to work properly in your dev environment. You should probably glance over the docs to get a handle on the framework, but look to index.php, application/config/config.php, and application/config/database.php. These are probably the main config files of the app.

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
if don't have a webserver installed try xampp (type it in google) it will insall mysql, php5 and apache together so you dont have to spend ages configuring scripts. all you do then is copy the codeigniter directoy into C:\xampp\htdocs\<your project>. follow the codeigniter installation instructions.. and away you go (maybe after swearing at the config files if your unlucky)!

I tried it on windows and was surprised how easy it was to install. I haven't tried xampp on any other OS, but it supports linux, mac os and solaris

[eluser]dgriffter[/eluser]
Thank you both very much for your helpful and speedy responses. I will assimilate the information and see how far I can get without hassling you all further...

All the best,

Dgriffter

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB