Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best framework for a large scale application?

[eluser]Sein Kraft[/eluser]
I know that this question was dont thousands of times before but i want personal answer to my subject.

I've been working for the past 5 months in a DeviantArt clone using CodeIgniter framework. And now really ready to finish it i'm trying to know if it CI framework will be enought to acomplish its purpose. Run a huge system...but really huge.

So i was thinking... CodeIgniter will be enough? Maybe i should use other framework? like CakePHP or Zymfony or maybe Zend Framework.

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
I think you have answered the question yourself.
If you have been working for 5 months building a site and it is nearly finished, and you have not come across any reasons while using CodeIgniter why it will not work for you, then it is fine.

As far as frameworks go CodeIgniter is the leanest PHP MVC framework. It uses very little memory and loads very few files, compared to other frameworks like CakePHP, Zend etc.

And if you are worried about the amount of data in your database getting too big and you having issues, that is not really a CodeIgniter problem. If used properly CodeIngiter will not have any issues regardless of if you are working with a database that has only a couple of tables and a few hundred records per table, or if you are working with a database of 1000 tables and millions of records per table.

[eluser]fedeisas[/eluser]
I believe, most of the times, speed problems have two main sources:
- Slow rendering, due to heavy images, and unoptimized CSS or JS.
- MySQL can be a bitch when dealing with large (huge) data sets.

CodeIgniter is known for being one of the leanest frameworks out there (compared to Zen, CakePHP, or Symphony).

But, obviously, if your app becomes really popular (think Facebook) you should spend time optimizing code, queries, etc.

Keep in mind that Facebook uses a lot of PHP, and it's the largest web app on Earth.

And, if you ever reach such levels of popularity, you can always come back to this forum, hire some geeks, buy some Amazon instances, and we all be rich.

Happy coding!

[eluser]gigas10[/eluser]
I use CodeIgniter for projects where thousands of rows of data are generated every second, a cron job runs a CI script that performs calculations on many of the rows of data, and then inputs that data into other tables. This runs 24/7 365. I'm sure my program has a heavier load then yours will ever have and I have never had a hiccup with CodeIgniter.

[eluser]praveens[/eluser]
Codeigniter is the best framework for small, medium and large scale applications,i worked more than 8 projects using codeigniter to develop medium and large scale applications.

[eluser]mobilizedesign[/eluser]
i spent the last 5 week learning Zend Framework and kept thinking things were going to flatten out and get easier. that's never happened. and i'm constantly amazed at how much code i have to write to extract settings form the config file ( application.ini ). and ... AND .. the Zend Framework documentation is total crap. maybe things will improve with version 2 (ZF is at 1.11.6 currently). but i don't think the ZF documentation will improve drastically overnight. unless they've hired a legion of tech writers / web developers

it took me a couple of days to get started with CodeIgniter. more is not better. sometimes less is more.

i'm going to go cry in the corner now.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB