Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
should i upgrade my codeigniter application to 2.0.2 ?

[eluser]Ravi Raj[/eluser]
What are main reasons & benefits to upgrade codeigniter to 2.0.2 ? i am little bit crucius about it as my current application running fine and smoothly. Please help and describe all pros and cons to migrate CI into 2.0.2.

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
Some overview : http://codeigniter.com/news/codeigniter_...e_awesome/

If you didnt use some serious or unusual function, then upgrading will be easy and take only a few minutes or hours(depend of your app scale).

Thanks for reply. Just seen change log. http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...gelog.html but didn't found any drastically change so that i do tough exercise of upgradation. Plz help if anything i am missing ??

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
No, you didnt missed anything. It all about what you see in changelog. And several trivial things at the link i mention above, just quoted some of them :
Quote:-All core class names are prefixed with "CI_". Be careful what you extend.

-All core classes now use the __construct convention. Update your constructor calls!

-CI_Base has been removed, the super object now starts at CI_Controller.

-The compat file and compatibility helper have been removed. PHP 5.1.6 supports all the functions they provided.

okie ... but is there any thing that you personally felt after seeing CI 2.0 that yes it's great functionality added in CI 2.0 ?? this is the point that i would love to know more.

I agreed that php 4 support is closed .. and yes php 5.1.x version might be much faster that php 4 but is there any miracle happened in CI 2.0 .. like php 6.0 introduced UNICODE support (although php 6 failed in market Tongue)

Actually i am talking about application level freedom, design level freedom that we required to stand Codeigniter in front of Zend, syphony or cakePHP.

Hope you got my question?

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
What i love from CI, is simple. Its speed up my development time so much. I mean, i have experienced using huge number of PHP frameworks (including some of the most weird and bizzare of them), and nothing can compare to it(Kohana might be the closest one). And it have some security helper and system, which help us to write less security procedure. Also it fast.

Every updates or version upgrade, is just make them better on above issues. Also, HMVC built in version 2.x + is good (this maybe clearing out about what you called "application level freedom, design level freedom").

Related with Unicode support, one of the side effect of UTF-8 being a byte-oriented encoding is that so long as you don't want to mess with the contents of a string, you can pass it around blindly using any system that is binary safe(by binary safe, we mean that we can store any byte values in a "string" and will always get exactly the same bytes back). This means (IMO) that PHP 4 and 5 can easily support a unicode application without any character set or encoding support built in into the languange.

But yes, there are some operations that you might need to perform that are imposible without "some kind" of Unicode support. For instance, you can't perform a regular substr() operation, since substr() is a byte-wise operation, and we can't safely cut a UTF-8 encoded string at arbitrary byte boundaries. If you're tempted at this point to move to a fixed-width encoding, such as UCS2, its worth nothing that you still can't blindly cut Unicode strings, even at character boundaries. Because Unicode allows combining characters for diacritical and other marks, a chop between two code points could result in a character at the end of the string missing its accents, or stray accents at the beginning of the string(or strange side effect from double width combining marks, which are too confusing to contemplate here ;-) ).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB