Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Wishlist for CMS in CI.

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Alright guys enough of all this 'Require a CMS' or 'How to make a CMS'. Lets do something real now.

First of all lets provide the reason to develop a CMS in CI and the requirements.

Secondly, lets all of us make a wishlist for the CMS.

I along with few others are starting a project for CMS on CI and would like to know the wishlist. The ones which can be done will be ported in the first release. Might just take some time since this has to be done side by side other projects in hand.

Ofcourse the ones yeilding money to fuel the CMS car.

P.S : Also if you can suggest a good name to it and if anyone can help with domain and webspace to get the project online live would really help.

[Edit]
An official blog is being setup at ignitedCMS.

Good Day !!!

[eluser]CI Lee[/eluser]
I'll donate the hosting on our (mt) dv.

-Lee

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
As I said in another thread - there is an open source effort already launched to create a CMS. Lee, I'll be contacting you in regards to hosting.

[eluser]strogg[/eluser]
Like walesmd said, there is a approach for CMS , can be seen on CIforge, discontinued this project right now.
http://www.ciforge.com/trac/codeignition, take a look. This also helping me for understanding concept, how dynamic sites can be done with CI.

Wishlist for CMS, that maybe help you. I think this features maybe enough.
For personal usage, or small business

General

1. Modern & Intuitive Interface for Backend and Frontend (like EE)
2. Template Driven (Advanced style sheets for dynamics layout and complex design.)
3. Respects Web Standards
4. Clear and Easily Readable Coding
5. Search Engine Friendly Links
6. RSS
7. Generates Web Sitemaps Automatically
8. Tag Cloud

Administration

1. WYSIWYG Document Editing (like TinyMCE)
2. Unlimited multi-level site navigation allows for unlimited hierarchical menus
3. Improved Title Tag, Meta-Tag and Keywords Controls (while page creation)
4. Statistical Reporting

Modules

1. Wiki
2. Blog
3. Photo & Media Gallery
4. Documents & Files
5. News Aggregator
6. Membership System
7. Search
8. Event Planning

[eluser]Shadi[/eluser]
Hello,

Well firstly, let me tell you a few about me, I'm kinda experienced developer in PHP/MySQL I've moved to work with codeIgniter since a year or more ... after then I've decided to build my own CMS, its almost finished, requires a few weeks of cleaning the codes and testing... but lately I discovered that building a CMS over CI wasn't a correct choice.. its not meant for that, lack many features and standards which on top of them is Modularity, how do you imagine to pack or to re-use a module/components in codeigniter while its files are separated/thrown everywhere? ( controllers, views, plugins, images,libraries javascript ...etc ) ... in systems like Drupal or Joomla modules are packed in one folder.

thats although I overcame this problem and made a pack-n-publish feature to help myself reuse components into other clients websites, but guess how many days I invest into this.

well many problems you will face to overcome, what about internationalization, CI isn't ready for that yet.

Multiple templates? even not ready.

despite I overcame most of the problems and after being over 6 months developing my CMS system I thought to give up about this way and either joing Drupal which is build to be a CMS from the first day...

I don't mean to disappoint you, but to tell that CI isn't a ready for a CMS .. it lacks many features for that purpose.. thats not a shame .. you could say that CI is very simple to build a CMS, If I were you, I'd go for ZEND Framework to build my CMS from scratch.

I don't know if you got my idea.. let me know if you have any questions so

Just my two cents.

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Well I do not completely agree to the fact that CI i not ready for CMS. I do agree it lacks lots of features but then the community is strong enough to contribute for the same. CI has been solely developed and managed by ELLISLAB and there is very few contributions from the community which we can find to WIKI page. But the fact remains that the community here is more capable to make things over CI. I have been developing with CI for not more than 6 months and have stuck many places but the ease with which i get off those problems makes me love this more and more. I am sure you will find more better frameworks out there but none of them posses the simplibity and code structure of CI. I am not going to get discouraged with your thought Shadi but am more inspired of it. I know the people here would make it good and it would be equally helpfull as CI is.

Good Day !!!

P.S : Walesmd already has a CMS plan in action so am waiting for his response on this forum about the progress.

[eluser]Shadi[/eluser]
Hello again,

Just in case someone is curios about a sample of my CMS over CI, I've uploaded one.
check a light version ( only Pages, Commenting and Categories components are installed ) at:
http://www.phpcaviar.com/demos/lightcms/
find the login info there, and please don't mess with it to let chance for others.

Thanks

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="Sarfaraz Momin" date="1196023744"]Well I do not completely agree to the fact that CI i not ready for CMS. I do agree it lacks lots of features but then the community is strong enough to contribute for the same.[/quote]

Have to disagree here friend. Think about what you are saying here, a CMS can be made out of any language, it is simply something that manages content. A CMS could be made in CI that does all the same things as something made in Perl, RoR, plain PHP etc.

All CI needs to have a CMS made is the modular system from Zach (codenamed "Matchbox") and a few default modules made such as ones listed above. User Auth/Management, Permissions, Templating (to include themes and management), Page management and a database config module and you are half way there.

With these core modules people can easily supply their own modules. Right now I have about 10 modules which could be plugged into almost any site with no extra work, and others can easily do the same.

We will never have a CMS using CI unless people can pick 1 of all of the above listed modules. If we all use our own then we will never get anywhere, and we all know that no coder likes to admit that somebody elses code should be used over his. We will all be arguing for years about who's should be used, nothing will happen and someone else will make this same post in 2009. Sad

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
Take a look at JTaby (link in my signature, soon to be renamed and updated) Right now it doesn't support some of the more advanced features (it's a v1 release), but it basically generates a backend for your system on the fly (no file/directory generation). It's also super fast to develop for and is very extendible. Although, your first post discusses it on a more abstract level than I designed it.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="thepyromaniac" date="1196038533"]
All CI needs to have a CMS made is the modular system from Zach (codenamed "Matchbox") and a few default modules made such as ones listed above. User Auth/Management, Permissions, Templating (to include themes and management), Page management and a database config module and you are half way there.[/quote]

Agreed. It's totally fruitless to discuss the merits of using CI to build a CMS; many experienced developers have done so already. Let's nip this in the bud and ignore such threads and focus, as Pyro says, on determining a set of goals and milestones as well as deciding whose code goes where.

Honestly, I'm not attached to my own solutions for things, no doubt someone else has come up with a cleaner, more elegant one. I'm happy to contribute, as well, but we'll need some direction for the project.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB