Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code Igniter Book

[eluser]ccachor[/eluser]
Is the Code Igniter book published by David Upton any good? I search the forums and consult the guide but I'm finding code examples are a little thin in the documentation. I'm hoping a nice 250 page book would help for reference so if anyone has it please chime in. Thanks!

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Yup, its pretty good if you are in its target audience. I wish David would be more active on these forums though (David you listening? No more plugs for your book until you get your butt in here Wink)

I did a review on my blog and there are others if you google around.

And since this is your first post, let me just say WELCOME to CodeIgniter ccachor! You're going to love it.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
If you search the forums (that's "fora" for Derek), you'll find a thread on it... I gave it a 6 or 7/10, since I thought it was good but not amazing -- I was already pretty familiar with the User Guide, have read it forward and backward, and the book builds on it but not extensively. To clarify, the book is well-written and documented, but I was left hungry for more...

So I would recommend it for someone starting out with CI, but if you've already built a few applications it may not be as useful. I definitely did like the extra Active Record examples, the chapter on unit testing, and the peek under the hood of the CI super object and, as I said, David's got a great, familiar style. But I can't wait for someone to publish an intermediate/advanced edition!

[eluser]ccachor[/eluser]
Great...thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for the welcome as well Derek. I'll be on here quite often; we're using this framework for a new project at work and I'm fairly new to PHP and MVC so I've got plenty to brush up on Smile I'll order the book off Amazon if it's not at the store near me.

[eluser]David U[/eluser]
Yes, Derek, I'm listening: I log on regularly but I don't post much because of pressure of other work. Sorry, I'll try to do better.
Thanks very much for the kind words about the book. I do claim that I put the first ever 'non-team' post on the original CI forum, but since the forum software changeover that's been lost, and I've never been able to prove it!
We saw the book very much as an introduction and also a means of making CI more available to people who didn't already know a lot about it, or were trying to work out which framework to use. I hope it is useful, but I'm not best placed to say how good it is!
One question I have been asked is when it will be available for download as an e-book: I passed this on to the publishers, and it now is.

[eluser]ccachor[/eluser]
Where could I get that as an eBook?

[eluser]David U[/eluser]
You can download it as an ebook from here: http://www.packtpub.com/codelgniter-php-...t-mvc/book

I hope it's helpful!

[eluser]t'mo[/eluser]
[quote author="David U" date="1196901934"]You can download it as an ebook from here: http://www.packtpub.com/codelgniter-php-...t-mvc/book

I hope it's helpful![/quote]

The link seems to have disappeared...I'm stuck on a unit testing thing right now anw would have liked to see the author's chapter on that topic. Anyone have a snippet?

[eluser]vadivel[/eluser]
hi ccachor

im get one ebook, i think that more useful for u
take that link

edit: link removed by moderator. Please don't post links to unverified sources. Thanks.

[eluser]David U[/eluser]
You're right, the link has disappeared. I've asked packt to put it back.

What in particular about unit testing is holding you up?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB