Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Email - from and Return-Path error

[eluser]dee_smart[/eluser]
Hi there,
I have recently joined codeigniter and things have been going smooth so far. I noticed an elementory problem today in Email class. The problem is with the from($from, $name = '') function of the email class.

These are the parameters I am passing to "from()" function:
$this->email->from('[email protected]', 'mysitename.net');

In from function in Email Class
$this->_set_header('From', $name.' <'.$from.'>');
$this->_set_header('Return-Path', '<'.$from.'>');

Here codeigniter is setting the headers for the email by passing values to array _headers. and it should show me an output

[From] =>"mysitename.net" <[email protected]>
[Return-Path] => <[email protected]>

but it is showing me this:

Array ( [From] =>"mysitename.net" [Return-Path] => )

I feel the problem is with ' <' , whenever i put this it does not parse the value of $from.

Why does it behave like this? do you have any patch to fix this. I need to pass the Return-Path value to ensure the emails do not land in spam folder.

Thanks for helping me fix this!

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Take a look though http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...email.html. You'll see that the CI way of adding the from (and return path) is
Code:
$this->email->from('[email protected]', 'Your Name');

You can also do a $this->email->reply_to() if that's helpful. The options are all down at the bottom under "Email Function Reference".

Oh, and welcome to CI! You're going to love it.

Thanks for the reply. I have gone through the manual already. and i am using

$this->email->from(’[email protected]’, ‘sitename’);

The problem is that it doesnt set a value for ’Return-Path’. and most of the email servers tag mails without return-path as spam.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Sorry, I misunderstood. I'll need to go through the code more carefully, but a quick look seems to indicate that mine is setting, and I just tested it on my server and its setting correctly.

Is there a direct way to set the return-path? It always shows me a blank entry for return path in
$this->email->print_debugger(), I checked the code, the problem is with '<' as I have mentioned in my first post.

[eluser]Chee Wai[/eluser]
[quote author="dee_smart" date="1197591493"]Is there a direct way to set the return-path? It always shows me a blank entry for return path in
$this->email->print_debugger(), I checked the code, the problem is with '<' as I have mentioned in my first post.[/quote]

Old topic, but for those who may be interested:
Likely you didn't see the addresses within the < and > because you are looking directly at the web page and the < > are treated as html tags, use the view source function of your browser.

Recently, i needed the Email class to support return paths for bounce handling
So I added this function to the Email class:
Code:
function return_path($returnpath)
    {
        if (preg_match( '/\<(.*)\>/', $returnpath, $match))
        {
            $returnpath = $match['1'];
        }

if ($this->validate)
        {
            $this->validate_email($this->_str_to_array($returnpath));
        }

$this->_set_header('Return-Path', '<'.$returnpath.'>');
    }

This will allow setting of return path, just ensure you call it after you call the "from" function so that it doesn't get overwritten.

In addition, the 3 lines for actual sending via mail/sendmail/smtp are admended to use Return path instead of From:
Code:
>> change
if ( ! mail($this->_recipients, $this->_subject, $this->_finalbody, $this->_header_str, "-f ".$this->clean_email($this->_headers['From'])))
>> to
if ( ! mail($this->_recipients, $this->_subject, $this->_finalbody, $this->_header_str, "-f ".$this->clean_email($this->_headers['Return-Path'])))

>> change
$fp = @popen($this->mailpath . " -oi -f ".$this->clean_email($this->_headers['From'])." -t", 'w');
>> to
$fp = @popen($this->mailpath . " -oi -f ".$this->clean_email($this->_headers['Return-Path'])." -t", 'w');

>> change
$this->_send_command('from', $this->clean_email($this->_headers['From']));
>> to
$this->_send_command('from', $this->clean_email($this->_headers['Return-Path']));

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
hi Chee Wai,

typically, a hard-working,generous dev such as yourself creates a MY_Email.php file... Wink makes it easier for busy CI developers to test out your contribution and eventually (maybe) it will be ported into the main library (and you will gain glory from the multitudes).

here are two other threads discussing this issue with Return-Path:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/122352/
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/124105/

i'd classify it as a feature-request, not a bug. that said, i'd like to try out your new feature!

cheers.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB