Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Playing around with SVN and google code

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
Just having a play around with the google code SVN since I don't have my own webserver and theres a few things I want to ask.

1. Does anyone else use google code svn and if so is it very slow to download and upload changes. Im getting speeds of less than 1kbps.
2. Is it possible to have two SVN's, say one for a little library and another for a large project. Now the big project uses the little library, can you create a link so the big project updates from the little library, instead of me having to upload the changes to both, if I change the little library?
3. Also does anyone have any good web pages I could read to lean more about tagging/branches?

So in respect to (2) if I have my little library folder layout in the svn/trunk as follows
Code:
system
    |- application
      |- libraries
        |- mylibrary.php

And my main project folder with the CI folder structure, but without the mylibrary.php. Would it just copy the file into the folder structure or would it copy the entire thing along side it but renaming the system folder to system(1) or something?

Thanks

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
SVN is a very flexible tool, you can lay it out however you want. Try:

Quote:svn repo/
|- library
|- trunk
|- mylibrary.php

|- sitename
|- trunk
|- system
|- index.php

If you are not loving Google Code, then I strongly reccomend Unfuddle. Its free for a single user and if your friends/co-workers wanna join you then its still pretty cheap.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
Wow thanks, that looks perfect the google code svn was just sooo slow. Will give that Unfuddle a try now.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
I have one more question about the use of SVN and development, how does everyone use SVN in conjunction with developing the code? What I mean is this, If I have my code in the SVN how can I write new code and test it but use the SVN to keep track of changes?

Should I write the code and check its all valid php on a development system, and when I am happy add it to the SVN, OR is it possible to test it directly on the SVN.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB