Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Make my own guerillamail service

[eluser]clancey[/eluser]
I want to be able to roll my own service along the lines of guerrilamail or mailinator. This is so that when people in our company need a throw away email address to register at a website they can easily get one.

Some sites already know that those two are temporary email addresses and they demand something "real".

This is not intended for use by anyone outside our company, which means that access will be password IP address protected.

Has anyone worked on a CodeIgniter email management library which might have some of the elements we need. What I looking for is something with a simple method for someone to create an email address and to be able to access their mail box via a web interface to check for and respond to email as needed.

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
I was planning something alone the lines once upon a time, but never got around to it. What I intended to do was to have a catch-all account and then sort and display/resend mail according to the recipient. This way you'd avoid dealing with the mail server alltogether and just make an app that would pull the emails from the account and into the db. For that you could use this or the modernized one linked on the top of that wiki.

[eluser]clancey[/eluser]
Thank you. I will check that. That class looks like it will be extremely helpful for other work we already do. For many years, I have used Mercury as a local mail server because of the ability to pipe incoming email through perl scripts. These process certain types of email messages for other uses. For instance, parsing commodity market commentaries to be reported on a website or processing excel spreadsheets to extract data and push that into a database.

As far as the Mailinator concept goes --> The idea is to accept all email sent to the domain and display it when someone types in the recipient name. Email is compressed and stored in RAM instead of being written to disk. It is a designed as a "lossy" system to keep it fast and reduce hardware requirements.

Since these are throw away emails, nothing is worth saving anyway.

However, by the nature of the use, many of the websites where you need such an email address sell them to spammers. That means that over time you need to implement anti-spam measures and IP blocking. That probably means you eventually need to write your own mail server. If it is a non-public app --- it should slow that growth of spam.

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
Yes, using the db makes much more sense now.

Btw, I just remembered a class that is taken from another framework but is nicely written and easily implementable - fmailbox. Check it out, might come in handy.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Background - I own a lot of technology. I like electronic toys and I indulge myself in whatever the latest gadget is. This has given me a broad taste in different segments of gadgets, and a pretty good eye for what works and what does not work.

Some convergence works but to date, most just plain suck (January 2011). Prime example of poor convergence is my iPhone 4 and Apple App Store GPS software like Navigon, Garmin, TomTom, MotionX, iGO, GlobalNav, MapQuest, Google and others. I tried them all - and in one way or another, they all suck. Why? Because the iPhone is primarily a mobile phone and an iPod. When an SMS message comes in, or a Facebook alert, or a Calendar alert, or a phone call, it either distracts or switches away from GPS navigation. Not a good idea when driving, far less when driving in unfamiliar areas!!!

See more here http://unity-clean.com/

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
<a href="http://www.streamingfaith.com/index.php/support/forum/viewthread/24901/">http://www.streamingfaith.com/index.php/support/forum/viewthread/24901/</a>

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB