Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Flummoxed by external SMTP problem

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I've gone through and through my external smtp server and haven't found anything wrong with it, so the problem must be with EE.

I'm posting in the codeigniter forum because the first four error messages I get refer to the codeigniter Email.php library.

I'm on EE 2.5.2. I'm hosting both the WAMP stack serving EE and the mail server on separate EC2 instances at AWS.

The behavior: Using "Communicate", and configuring for External SMTP, I get two minutes of spinning wheels, a timeout, and a page of errors. From the mail server side, it just looks like it receives an incoming connection, gets nothing further, then closes the connection after about two minutes.

Here is the entirety of one of these events on the mailserver's log file (It's Smartermail, ironically)

Quote:15:46:04 [50.112.113.5][38113699] rsp: 220 ITC Email Service
15:46:04 [50.112.113.5][38113699] connected at 6/29/2012 3:46:04 PM
15:48:08 [50.112.113.5][38113699] rsp: 421 Command timeout, closing transmission channel
15:48:08 [50.112.113.5][38113699] disconnected at 6/29/2012 3:48:08 PM

Here is the series of errors I'm getting from EE after the timeout. The big kahuna appears to be

Quote:The following SMTP error was encountered:
Failed to send AUTH LOGIN command. Error:

Here is the complete set of errors.

Quote:A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice

Message: fwrite(): send of 29 bytes failed with errno=10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Filename: libraries/Email.php

Line Number: 1813

A PHP Error was encountered

Message: fwrite(): send of 5 bytes failed with errno=10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Message: fwrite(): send of 536 bytes failed with errno=10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Message: fwrite(): send of 2 bytes failed with errno=10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

An Error Was Encountered
Unable to send email at this time.

220 mail.smartertools.com

hello:

The following SMTP error was encountered:

Failed to send AUTH LOGIN command. Error:

The following SMTP error was encountered: 421 Command timeout, closing transmission channel

to:

Unable to send data: RCPT TO:

to:

Unable to send data: DATA

data:

Unable to send data: User-Agent: ExpressionEngine 2.5.2 Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:51:16 -0700 From: Return-Path: To: [email protected], [email protected] Subject: =?utf-8?Q?test?= Reply-To: "[email protected]" X-Sender: [email protected] X-Mailer: ExpressionEngine 2.5.2 X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Message-ID: <[email protected]> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit test

Unable to send data: .

Unable to send email using PHP SMTP. Your server might not be configured to send mail using this method.

Anyone have any clue why EE or CodeIgniter wouldn't send "AUTH LOGIN", or be able to communicate effectively (or at all) with the mail server? I've checked all the security settings, AWS security groups, firewalls on the individual machines, I can telnet to the mail server on both SMTP ports just fine, and I use it every day to retrieve and send email via POP3 and SMTP. PHP Mail works on the local EE machine, but I wanted to centralize all the email service for both of my web servers.

Of course, any help will be met with undying gratitude and perhaps I can order a pizza delivery to your house. Thanks!

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
No one has any info on this at all?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB