Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Pushing Changes from Development to Production?

[eluser]gwerner[/eluser]
Thanks. That clear things up a bit more. Now I have a lot of reading ahead. Thanks again.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
[quote author="gwerner" date="1347475986"][...]I don't want to use any type of hosted online service as I don't want to expose any of the development. This should all be happening behind closed doors. Sorry for my lack of understanding at this point.[/quote]

You can use bitbucket. They allow private git or mercurial repositories for you for free if you have an educational email address. Or are somehow differently related to a educational organization.
I'm using this for my distributed version control of private projects as well without any problems.
Otherwise you need to have root access to your VPS in order to install and configure git Wink

[eluser]gwerner[/eluser]
I have root access to the server. I have a dedicated box for both lab and live currently. Unfortunately this is why I'm so green. In the past all I've ever really had to worry about is design and code. Server stuff has never been something I've had to worry about. So, this is new territory in terms of grasping some of the concepts.

Is it fairly basic to setup and install Git on a server?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Depending on your server OS, it's as easy as
sudo apt-get install git-core (Ubuntu)

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Setting up the git client is peanuts, like CroNiX explained.

Setting up a git server (gitolite) is a bit more complex, but there are good tutorials available, such as http://www.bigfastblog.com/gitolite-inst...ep-by-step.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB