Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Number of users online

[eluser]mvdg27[/eluser]
Hi,

For a project I'm working on now, I'd like to add a 'number of users online'-feature. I was reviewing the Session-class, but didn't find a direct answer on how to do such a thing with CI. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do that?

Thanks! -Michiel

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
whos.amung.us and many others offer widgets with possibilities you will take some time to develop.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
What you would have is a table called Users, where you save the usernames along with a timestamp.

When a page is loaded you call something like this (pseudo-code):
Code:
function updateCurrentUsers() {
    $curr_time = time();
    $allowed_timeout = $curr_time - 58490385; //make this smaller ;)

/* Add current user to the database with timestamp field = $curr_time() */

/* Select all users where timestamp field < $allowed_timeout, and delete them */
    /* Return all users left in the table */
}

[eluser]mvdg27[/eluser]
Hi inparo, thanks for your solution. That seems like a good option.

Cheers!

[eluser]mironcho[/eluser]
If you are saving session data into database (like described in http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...sions.html), then you could use last_activity field to calculate online users. So if you want to find online users for last 10 minutes, you could try this:

Code:
$query = $this->db->query("SELECT COUNT(*) AS online_users FROM ci_sessions WHERE last_activity > (UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 600)")

Note: last_activity is updated on every five minutes!

[eluser]mvdg27[/eluser]
That's even better!! "last_activity is updated on every five minutes!" .. that means there is a five minute error of displaying the correct number of online users, right? If so, that shouldn't be a problem as it's meant as a gadget anyway.

Thanks

That's right!

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
you could just do the count of records in the session table if you want an approximation.
session gc (garbage collection) will eventually delete these old records anyway
a simple count on the entire table is quicker than having to count with the where (marginally)

tonanbarbarian, you are right, but by default in codeigniter session expiration time is set to 2 hours so counting all sessions will return online users for last 2 hours.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB