Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 3.0 Suggestion for these Fora

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
I expect we'll see a lot of questions generated by the coming release of CI 3.0
Does it make sense to create new forums here which are specific to the new version?
I suggest this based on the need to know which version is being used when responding to questions.
Posters generally don't state versions until asked, which takes up a couple of thread cycles...
Your thoughts?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I always thought so. Along with a mini changelog in the user guide next to each function telling what version it was introduced in and also any changes made. [moderated] user comments in the user guide as well. Much like php.net does in their docs.

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
@CroNiX I very much like the moderated comments on php.net.
I don't know if that will be a feature with the new User Guide, but it gets my vote.

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
That would be a very welcome addition!

[eluser]Narf[/eluser]
The user guide is being transformed from plain (hand-written) HTML to Sphinx, but AFAIK that doesn't give us the possibility to include user comments in it.

Every new CodeIgniter version is the only version supported and I'm still surprised when I see somebody reporting a problem with a 1.7.x version - that is WAY out of date. The answer to every such question should be only one and it's quite simple: upgrade.

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
Every time I see someone say, "just upgrade" I think: Here's someone who has very little real-world experience.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
It depends on the version and the changes made. Minor revisions are as easy as replacing the system folder and you're done. Major revisions usually include major beneficial changes, and should be upgraded within a reasonable amount of time (in my opinion).

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
[quote author="jmadsen" date="1352452482"]Every time I see someone say, "just upgrade" I think: Here's someone who has very little real-world experience.[/quote]
Ihmo there's a difference between still using an old version in production, and a "supplier" supporting that old version.

You might also have a copy of Windows 95 running somewhere, do you expect Microsoft to still support that?

[eluser]Narf[/eluser]
Apparently, there's somebody in every forum thread assuming that I'm the newbie fan around.

[quote author="WanWizard" date="1352463284"][quote author="jmadsen" date="1352452482"]Every time I see someone say, "just upgrade" I think: Here's someone who has very little real-world experience.[/quote]
Ihmo there's a difference between still using an old version in production, and a "supplier" supporting that old version.

You might also have a copy of Windows 95 running somewhere, do you expect Microsoft to still support that?[/quote]

WanWizard got the key part though - an old CodeIgniter version means an unsupported version. I'll just quote Phil Sturgeon to make it clearer:

Quote:...
Compare that to CodeIgniter which can be upgraded from 1.7.0 to 3.0 in about an hour.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
A great percentage of threads are created in the wrong forum category, and I doubt that adding another for CI 3.0 will cause less confusion. Since there is no real forum moderation here, it would be smart to start there first.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB