Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Expanding CMS to include membership system and other features

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I built a simple CMS with codeigniter following a tutorial series at nettuts but now I want to expand it to implement a membership and user based system, where visitors can register/login edit their profiles; just play around the site. I also want to expand the site to add a couple features, as follows;

HMVC (to make it really modular)
add Caching
featured images and featured imaging for the articles
image editor for the html fields
RSS feeds
full text search
site map
15 level deep navigation support
categories
system support
multiple language support
... and lots more possible.

I really don't know how and where to start from. Since I'm very new to php/codeigniter/CMS/mysql/etc... I really need help in this. Anybody, everybody, please help me out guys. God richly bless you all.

[eluser]Harold Villacorte[/eluser]
If you "need" a CMS then just use a CMS. If you want to learn how to build your own in PHP I would start with echo "Hello World" and work my up from there. Codeigniter is not useful to anyone who does not know PHP. PHP itself is not just a powerful language but it is also a library with almost 6000 built in functions. It is a worthwhile effort to anyone who is interested in web development to learn it from the ground up.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I know that, I've gone through that, I just need to learn how to add a membership system to the site I've created. I know Rome was not built in a day. lol. Thanks though for your reply, but I still thirsty for help.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Look at existing authentication libraries, don't rebuild what already exists (but definitely learn how it works).

[eluser]Harold Villacorte[/eluser]
Hey JesusBoy I wasn't implying anything, perhaps I misinterpreted your post. My apologies if I was overly patronizing. I am ZCE 5.3 and still consider myself a student of php. You listed a lot of features there that sound to me like a full fledged content management system. I firmly believe that if a CMS is what is needed for a job than a CMS should be used and there are a few really awesome ones built on CI with Pyro being at the the top of the list (imo). I personally would rather support them than disregard them or compete with them. If all you are looking for a user library Ion and Tank are two good ones. You would still have to do some work to implement them though. Good luck my friend and God Bless.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB