Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Newbie Guide

[eluser]7th Sense[/eluser]
Hello,

I am a newbie and I am building my first website on CI and I am planning to build a model agency corporate website, I would like to know what is the best guide or tutorial you recommend me to start using CI and understand how it works so, I can build my desire application. Is there a newbie tutorial or guide or videotutorial?

Please help!

Thanks

[eluser]xorzizten[/eluser]
I started here

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/toc.html

which was more than enough for me to start with Smile

Other than that i've found loads of tuts on youtube, and by using google Smile

Best of luck to you

Hey xorzizten,

Thanks a lot for the info, I check out that info and it is great, but, I am more a guy that needs a practical example to learn it better, so basically I wanted to know if anyone can let me know of a tutorial to make a normal website nothing specific so, I can undestand how CI works.

I been researching a lot on google and youtube before coming here but, the problem is that most of the video tutorials are very old like 2007 or 2009 and people on the community told me that since then CI change a lot on version 2.XX and does not work the same as version 1.XX. Most books are old and useless for new CI, like the one called: "CodeIgniter for Rapid PHP Application Development: Improve your PHP coding productivity with the free compact open-source MVC CodeIgniter framework! " is from 2007 or "Professional CodeIgniter " from 2008 or "CodeIgniter 1.7" from 2009 and they are all from version 1.XX not the recent version of CI 2.XX and most tutorials are very old from 2009.

That is why I am asking on the community for a recent tutorial that shows how to build a website or something so, I can get the hang of how CI works. There no new books for version 2.XX ? Anything newer from 2009?

Please help!

Thanks

PD: If I found anything good I will posted so it does not happen either to other people.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Can you build a blog in 20 minutes?

Derek Allard can. I can't find his original video, but here's a link to the same one on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWsAruzW3Jw"]youtube.[/url]

The best way to learn CI is to use it. The user guide is very clear, and so is the source code. You will need to decide on your file structure in advance though. If you don't, and you change your mind, it can be a real painus in the anus.

If you can think of any more specific questions, please don't hesitate to get back to us. We're here to help. Smile

Thanks Bro,

I agree completely with you, the best way to learn it is to use it, I am going to try it and do it so, I can start my first project on CI,

About the questions thanks, I will let you know if I get stuck!!

Thanks

One thing I forgot. Check out my signature. Wink

It's a bit out-dated now, but the principles behind CI haven't changed that much at all. The structure has only changed a bit, and we have some new toys, but for getting started, it should be helpful.

Hello Thefuzzyone,

I been checking out the video of making a blog but, once again tutorial is outdated, since it seems they use scaffolding and in CI 2.XX its been remove and also some other features that makes it a bit confussing, is there any other tutorial like that one for version 2.XX of CI??

Because I need to practice a bit on it before going for the big project, any ideas??

Cheers!

There's a series of tutorials available [url="http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/codeigniter-from-scratch-day-1/"]here[/url].

[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1362649012"]There's a series of tutorials available [url="http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/codeigniter-from-scratch-day-1/"]here[/url].[/quote]

Thanks for the effort bro, but I found those a while ago on Google and they are really out dated more than the books mentioned before they are from 2009, there no new tutorials or books for CI 2.xx??

Thanks for your help and time bro!

I know they're out-dated, but like I said, not a great deal has changed that much. Yes, there are new libraries and helpers. Yes, code has been optimised and improved, and yes, the structure has changed slightly, but they still have tons of information in them that will help you to grasp the "concepts" of CodeIgniter, which have remained the same through the years. Perhaps no new tutorials have been made because the old ones still hold some value?

The database is loaded the same way, as are libraries and helpers. Controllers, routing and models still work the same. It's definitely a good starting point. If there's anything that doesn't make sense, just take a look in the [url="http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/"]bible[/url]

If you come across any problems, just post back and I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB