Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI is not dead! CASE CLOSED!

[eluser]jairoh_[/eluser]
been talking to ellislab and here are my quetions:
1. Hello CI team, i'm confused because of lots and lots of article encouraging us to migrate from CI to Laravel for CI is now dead. And we can't imagine using CI for a long time relying its robustness and makes us afraid for future compatibility of CI and its future download if its true. Are you really dropping the most famous framework for years? Can we here some answers from you. we really need it as developers. Or we now need to jump to another ship as soon as possible? Please please reply. tnx

the first reply was not enough to satisfy us:
[Image: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2066/...reply1.png]

2. [Image: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9803/cireply2.png]

3.[Image: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9161/cireply3.png]

last time, i'm in the first step of jumping out of the boat, but i CI stopped me. so CASE IS CLOSED!
CI IS NOT DEAD! Stop that false alarm everywhere. anyone here who makes a blog, can u include this? i mean if you search around google about Ci, most of the article says it's dead. and we're running out of passengers because of that false alarm. Big Grin

[eluser]jairoh_[/eluser]
@mod, please delete this reply post, i suddenly double posted. tnx

[eluser]alexwenzel[/eluser]
Thanks for sharing Smile

The answers look very promising.

[eluser]the_unforgiven[/eluser]
Best news ive heard for a long time

[eluser]jairoh_[/eluser]
It should be, many are dependents of this framework. Smile

Me been one of them, plus i dont want to start learning new unstable frameworks like laravel! Long love CI, it's stable and secure and i've built many sites with it and never encountered any problems. Just checking the git repo now see whats going off - https://github.com/EllisLab/CodeIgniter/...state=open

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
@jairoh_,

What exactly in those email replies gives you the idea that all is well and you should not worry? They read a bit like Obama saying there is no such thing as PRISM and all your data is private and perfectly safe...

Fact remains that that CI of today is the same as 12 or 24 months ago, that the support (or even the presence) of Ellislab in the forums is exactly null, and that the open source version of CI is being worked on by a single volunteer with unknown status, without any (obvious) Ellislab backing or involvement.

@the_unforgiven hits the nail on the head. CI has always been the "stable" choice, but now the slow evolution has been replaced by the non-existent evolution, and what happens in the public repo isn't exactly what I would call "stable" and "reliable".

There are other frameworks out there that have evolved, provide new and modern features, develop a lot faster, AND have a strong focus on stability, to guarantee business continuity (and yes, Laravel isn't one of them).

@WanWizard I agree with you but also i think that moving to new faster frameworks doesnt cut it with some or most of the hosting companies out there that are still on PHP 5.2/5.3 so why move to something to develop an application that a server can't run, just my opinion. Also like i said CI is stable and maybe in the coming months if everyone on this forum was to bug the guys @Ellislab maybe just maybe they will do something more about it.

These forums still seem to be active and there's a lot of activity on stackoverflow too, so i wouldn't write CI off just yet, many people use it and therefor ellislab should do something about it and people should continue to use it, stable reliable! nuff said i think! Even wordpress suffers security and reliability!

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
PHP 5.2 is end of life since 6 Jan 2011.

I know there are still a lot of (especially shared) hosters using it (GoDaddy is still using NT4!), but is it a wise thing to use them, and to use that as the primary criteria for the selection of your framework?

Perhaps if you're developing for yourself personally, and every penny counts, then yes. Maybe. But if you're developing business applications? I would say it's the other way around.

The main problem with CI is that it's inflexible, outdated, missing a lot of features (for which you need 3rd-party bolt-on's), and nothing is being done about it. Which is why we (my company) dumped CI over two years ago as the framework of choice.

The framework we now use doesn't have these shortcomings, and on average we develop 30% faster then before. Given our hourly rates the cost of selecting a decent hosting company that does ofter 5.3+ is totally irrelevant.

Again i agree with you to a certain degree, and was just pointing a few things out i had seen over the previous months Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB