Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Worth learning code igniter now?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
After researching a few different frameworks, I came to the conclusion that code igniter was a decent pick and got ready to jump on the bandwagon. However after reading the latest news from EllisLabs (regarding the dropping of the development), I now have a feeling of doubt and uncertainty about the future of the CI framework.

At this stage is it worth me still learning/using CI, or am I better off trying something like Laravel, Cake or Zend?

Thanks Smile

[eluser]satie[/eluser]
Let's assume that CI is no longer developed.
It remains an excellent framework. You can do anything. And you can use it for long time.

Follow the framework trend is stupid. Why? Consider documentation, community, and stackoverflow.
The last framewok doesn't have those features. And if you have a job, you should consider how fast should be your developing.

Sure, for a web developer is important learning new stuff every day. So, my advice is learning CI, Laravel, Zend and anything... don't stop learning.

[eluser]Benjamin Kohl[/eluser]
Laravel all the way.

[eluser]Alucemet[/eluser]
If you have nothing investing in CodeIgniter, now would seem to be a terrible time to start in on learning it. Do yourself a favor and go with something else.

[eluser]wanderer[/eluser]
[quote author="Benjamin Kohl" date="1374180389"]Laravel all the way.[/quote]
What about Yii?

[eluser]kwoodfriend[/eluser]
[quote author="amarok" date="1374154977"]After researching a few different frameworks, I came to the conclusion that code igniter was a decent pick and got ready to jump on the bandwagon. However after reading the latest news from EllisLabs (regarding the dropping of the development), I now have a feeling of doubt and uncertainty about the future of the CI framework.

At this stage is it worth me still learning/using CI, or am I better off trying something like Laravel, Cake or Zend?

Thanks Smile[/quote]

It depends. What where you going to learn CI for? Did you have a specific goal in mind?

Examples:
- Learning to use as a foundation for your next application.
- Learning your first framework.
- Learning just because you want to learn something new.
- Learning because of feature xyz.

CI's future is definitely unsure at the moment. However, you need to weigh that issue against what you intended to use it for, and what CI provides (e.g. good documentation, good community, etc).

If you were going to learn CI just for the sake of learning a framework, then there wouldn't be much harm if it did end up going down to crapper. If you were going to use it as the foundation of an app/website, especially for a company you own or work at, then I would reconsider.

There really is no telling what will happen. Ellis Lab could pick the most super-awesome company/person to pass the framework off to, but they could ultimately "screw the pooch" and ruin everything. At that point, the framework would probably be forked several times, each taking their share of CI faithfuls.

What other frameworks did you research?

[eluser]kwoodfriend[/eluser]
[quote author="kwoodfriend" date="1374195650"]
If you were going to use it as the foundation of an app/website, especially for a company you own or work at, then I would reconsider.
[/quote]

Sorry, clarifying a bit. If you were looking to use it for a business-critical websites/app, I would wait to see until EL's announcement for the new owner for CI.

Also, if you were looking for a framework that takes advantage of more recent PHP features, then CI isn't the one. Not to say you wouldn't be able to use PHP's new features, just that they won't be engrained in the framework itself.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm in the same boat as the OP and looking for some direction...

I love EE and have been working with it for several years. I've been working on learning PHP, and am ready to start exploring frameworks. I was headed towards CI until I saw the news...

I've had 1-2 large projects on my mind for years that could ultimately (and hopefully) turn into online businesses.

I was planning to start one of the projects off with ExpressionEngine, but know that it will eventually outgrow the core functionality and will need some pretty heavy-duty customization.

I have never written any type of add-on for ExpressionEngine, but obviously understand that EE (2.x) was developed with CodeIgniter.

Is utilization of the CI framework a requirement for any type of add-on / module / extension?

I guess with the recent news, I'd prefer to head in another direction such as Laravel or Yii, but if CI is going to put me in a substantially better position to extend EE, I guess that may be the route to go...

Any thoughts?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm depressed. I researched quite a bit and CodeIgniter seemed like an awesome thing to try. I just stumbled through the first tutorial and realized there were bugs in it. No pages folder, had to edit the controller a second time to include new code. I came here to talk about that and then find out that without investment in CI, it's best to move on.

Oh well, not the first time I took an old dirt road off the highway to find an impassable river and had to drive back in reverse to turn around. lol.

Hop

[eluser]micha8l[/eluser]
This is terrible, something needs to happen with Codeigniter fast, people are losing confidence! We should start a petition or something. What a beautiful waste of code.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB