Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What are the advantages of Codeigniter against frameworks as of zend, cakephp, and symphony?

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
[quote author="luisvallin" date="1376503161"]codeigniter is only for small dynamic website? I'm confused[/quote]
If your project doesn't require name spacing CI will probably work well for you. Depending on the scope of your project could there be a better tool? That's for you to decide. Try a bunch and pick the one you like best.

A framework is like scaffolding, it's job is to help you along the way. Different people have different ideas and levels of help they want from a framework. That's why there's so many out there. They range from bare bones to all-in-one packages.

Someone like WanWizard wants the framework to do as much as possible on it's own to cut down on development time. The more the framework does out of the box the less he has to do to get a project rolling. He may want modules (addons) that he can plug into the framework to add functionality for different customers with minimal effort.

From a business perspective, this makes sense. Less time programming equals more time for other jobs. The problem is without name spacing, you can only add so many 3rd party addons before you get into trouble (naming collisions etc). You also run into a lot of performance problems if you don't keep this in check, addons are tested individually in isolation so their combined effect may not be realized right away.

Not everyone needs a system like this, and there are ways around those problems using CI, but if your projects main focus is an extendible system (eg a CMS with different versions and pluggable modules) then CI probably isn't the best tool for the job.

Personally I prefer minimal frameworks that do the dirty work (URL routing, database connections, security, etc) and leave the rest up to me. I'm the kind of person who doesn't use additional library's unless I absolutely have to- I'd rather write my own code so I'm not relying on a black box written by someone else. I'd rather write SQL queries then use an ORM, I prefer my models to have CRUD methods, and I'll take consistency over complexity any day of the week.

I lead the development of a product, so it's my decision on if/what is included. I'd rather take an extra day or two to create exactly what I need then take an off the shelf addon and try to bend it to my will. Yes, this is a luxury some developers don't have and will always take more time. I feel the results are worth it and speak for themself.

[eluser]luisvallin[/eluser]
thanks for your contribution jonez
might ask some other things?

[eluser]luisvallin[/eluser]
leveraging your great experience Smile thanks

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@luisvallin

If you are 100% new to CodeIgniter then better stay away from CodeIgniter for temporary.
Why because it is on the edge of transition.
They are looking for new owner.
So you really don't know what will happen.
I suggest you use FuelPHP, Laravel or Symfony.
Better come back here in CodeIgniter once everything is okay.

By the way If you want to choose different framework better choose that has built-in HMVC,
I already mentioned above.
I hope this will help you a lot.

Good Luck!

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
[quote author="solid9" date="1376634907"]@luisvallin

If you are 100% new to CodeIgniter then better stay away from CodeIgniter for temporary.
Why because it is on the edge of transition.
They are looking for new owner.
So you really don't know what will happen.

[/quote]

This is a silly answer that people need to stop repeating.

Codeigniter is not some Windows OS that will suddenly stop working with modern apps one day, and you have no control over it. CI is open source, and has no support contract.

What you download today is what you can continue working with forever. You can fork it & change it as you like, as the Kohana people did. You can fix all the bugs yourself for your own version. You can swap out any part of the Core or libraries & have your own codebase.

What happens tomorrow or next year or 10 years from now is not particularly relevant. Chose to use it or not based on what it does now, and if that style suits what you need.

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@jmadsen

I'm not silly I'm just practical person.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@solid9,

I really dislike the broad assumptions that fools like you and WanLizard tend to make.

CodeIgniter is not dead.

Ownership of CodeIgniter is not relevant. Under the current license anyone can provide a public repository for the current version and support it into the future.

CodeIgniter is still a perfectly good framework to use for any form of web application development.

@jonez, When and if anyone has issues with namespace conflicts then it would be obvious that they move to a framework which better supports their needs.

For most developers like me, CodeIgniter just does the job it is designed to do perfectly and I actually still enjoy coding with it.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I didn't call you names, but now that you've started (again, after all these years you're still singing the same tune), I feel the need to respond, as your attitude towards people with opinions different from yours offends me.

I don't care what your opinion is, you moron. And my opinion is mine, and I'm entitled to one. When do you learn that people have opinions, that those opinions might be different from yours? And that is absolutely fine?

As to the advice I gave, let me repeat myself for those who can't read: I said "pick the right tool for the job". For you that might be CodeIgniter (you're so full of it, I bet you use it to make coffee as well, you probably even sleep with it), for others that might be different.

For me, and my requirements, it isn't the right tool. And you don't have the right to tell me different. Again, ymmv (look it up if you don't know what it means).

You're remarks are rubbish and not relevant. Turbo C and the Ford Model T also still do the job they were designed to do. And very well. And still, as a product they are very dead, and absolutely nobody with sound mind will select them today. Same for PHP3, and a very long list of other great but outdated products.

I am very happy for you that you still enjoy it. Unlike you, I don't have a problem with that.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@WanLizard, Now you're just slinging poop like an angry chimp.

You're also making inappropriate comparisons.

CodeIgniter still does it's job providing a framework for modern web application development.

There is nothing it cannot do with some thought and creativity on the part of the developer.

EDIT: Don't know about the making coffee bit. Maybe thats a trick better suited to java programmers.

[eluser]solid9[/eluser]
@wiredesignz
Why not try to acquire and be the new owner of CodeIgniter.
We will be happy If you will be the new owner since you are the creator of the HMVC extension.
We will be also happy if CodeIgniter will be re-written from scratch and include the latest technologies for PHP framework,
for example the HMVC that you made for CodeIgniter and to make it built-in not as extension.

We will be also happy if getsparks.org will be built-in in CodeIgniter.
There are really tons of improvement we need to apply and implement to CodeIgniter.
We will be also happy if the license is converted to GPL so everyone can contribute.
and many more...

And also just respect the opinion of others it will not hurt you dude, it's just an opinion.
Lets make CodeIgniter the best PHP Framework...
And not fighting against each other.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB