Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Migrating from CodeIgniter

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
[quote author="Alucemet" date="1387075566"]You'd have to go back and read some very long forum threads regarding the subject.[/quote]
As I am nearing a release using CI3, I took the time to go through the thread and the posts from Derk, WanWizard, and skunkbad cleared everything up.

1. OSL only applies to files with the OSL header in them (stock core files).

2. AFL only applies to files with the AFL header in them (stock config files).

3. You DO NOT have to give out your "application" source. Files you create do not have the OSL license header (unless you put it there), they are yours to license how you want to.

4. You ARE REQUIRED to release modifications to "system" files with the OSL header, as the license is reciprocal.

5. You DO NOT have to put a link on your site saying powered by CI.
Quote:You are not obligated to actively point your individual website visitors anywhere; OSL 3.0 has no advertising clause. Attribution is only required in the source and other locations that the licensor clearly defines as such a notice. Please see the Agency example in this week’s post outlining examples of OSL 3.0 compliance.
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/20...10/#969477

6. You DO NOT have to provide site visitors with the stock CI source code. It is already publicly available.
Quote:As Derek already mentioned, the fact that the source code to the Original Work is already publicly available (published by Ellislab) is enough.
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/20...10/#959615

If your app doesn't use modified core files nothing really changes. All the OSL license is saying is: "we gave you stock CI for free. If you modify the files we gave you, you have to reciprocate and provide your modifications for free."

Using the files does not constitute a derivative, only changing them does. If you overload methods vs editing them directly (as you should be doing anyway) you are indeed in the clear, and nothing changes vs. 2.x (for 99% of us).

Sounds like this was blown way out of proportion.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Or a simpler way to put it:

If it's in /system, it is OSL3.

If it's in /application, it's yours.

Since core extensions (prefixed with MY_) go in /application, those are yours.

Only if you ever modify a file in /system does it fall under OSL3. I've never, ever, needed to do that personally.

In reality, no one would ever have a way to know if you did change /system files unless you released the source code.

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
[quote author="CroNiX" date="1387564495"]Or a simpler way to put it:

If it's in /system, it is OSL3.

If it's in /application, it's yours.

Since core extensions (prefixed with MY_) go in /application, those are yours.

Only if you ever modify a file in /system does it fall under OSL3. I've never, ever, needed to do that personally.

In reality, no one would ever have a way to know if you did change /system files unless you released the source code.[/quote]
That's a much better way to summarize a migration. I added more then necessary since I made a few mistakes in previous posts.

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
It's misguided to think that you need to migrate an existing application simply because of the state of the current releases. Your application is your business. Migrating to a different framework is a major bit of work with little or no return on investment. Migrate if:

- you are being blocked from making changes you need because of restrictions in the code
- you are no longer able to find developers who will work with that framework

If you are thinking to move to a different framework, make a list of why, then see which framework best addresses those needs. For example:

- our workflow is too slow; we need a framework with more advanced workflow tools
- we use a variety of components based on customer needs; we need a framework that supports component swapping
- we need to implement better testing methods

The code you have is open source; no one is taking it away from you. It is silly to change your main method of earning a living because it seems uncool or out-dated, just as it is silly to ask someone else what framework they think you should be using; decide what your business is, and then pick the tools that will make you successful.

Don't forget - a very large percentage of the php developers making a perfectly good living are doing so by writing WordPress plugins.

[eluser]MrTomTom[/eluser]
Just wondering if anyone had any further experience or suggestions about which frameworks are easiest for switching from CI from. We're planning on keeping existing projects in CI, but a new project is not far into development and we'd like to try something else.

We're thinking of

* Laravel
* Zend
* Yii
* Symphony

For us the main factors are:

* Easy of transition from CI
* Decent built in granular auth system
* Good support for building multilingual systems
* Vibrant community.

Any experiences or suggestions very gladly welcomed!

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
I started switching to FuelPHP, has built-in Auth HMVC etc; ORM with nestedsets model.

CLI which can create a complete application or an admin with all controllers models views etc;

But I have not given up on CI yet.

[eluser]Narf[/eluser]
Strange, when I read the first post the "looking for" sounded exactly like CI. Smile

Truth is, CodeIgniter's advantage over other frameworks is backwards compatibility and less frequent need for updates. So, if you're looking for another framework because there hasn't been a major release in awhile, you've got it all wrong.
Furthermore, if you're looking to switch an already running app to another framework - that's even a worse thing to do. There are people who'd mock CI, but will still tell you not to do that unless you have to rewrite the application either way.

Of course, I won't tell you that just the practice of slow movement is the reason that 3.0 is not out yet - that's simply not the truth. It was postponed at least 3 times already for numerous reasons.
Still, that doesn't mean it's dead, and to that guy who talked about "the signs of a framework dying" ... Well, for 10 years in the field you should've learned to judge by commits and not whatever you were thinking when you wrote that.

@jonez pretty much nailed it with his comments on licensing, but I'd like to mention something else on the topic - EllisLab decided to change the license to protect themselves from trolls, not to force you into something. That topic that you linked mentions that multiple times.

Then again, it's everybody's own choice what framework to use and I'm not going to try to talk everybody out of picking another one. I'd just suggest asking somewhere else, no idea why you thought that the CodeIgniter forums is the place to ask for other frameworks.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB