Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best way to handle a customizable user profile page

[eluser]kilishan[/eluser]
I'm working on a social networking site and I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the user profile page. It needs to be customizable by the user (fully drag/drop AJAX which I can get that part). The portion I'm looking for advice on is the modules themselves.

Let's say modules exist for pictures, text modules (for about me, etc), tag list modules for lists of interests, etc. Eventually, I'd love to open it up to use OpenSocial apps. I plan on creating 2 ways to modify: the simple way of changing colors through a web interface and a more advanced method that allows users to customize the actual page code itself, much like Virb.com does, so it probably needs template tags that stand in for the actual modules.

The ways that I'm considering right now are:
* creating a plug-in system so it's extensible and plugins have to be registered, etc.
* expanding the existing template system.
* or anything else that someone can recommend.

I'm leaning toward the template system, and not sure of the best way to implement it. Perhaps having it use the controller/function names with a paramater list or something, so they'd look something like:

Code:
{photos random 5}

Is there a better way to do this? Or an existing library that I've missed that I can use?

Thanks in advance.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB