Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
confused about saving html into database

[eluser]sessions[/eluser]
I have a project that saves html into a mysql database. Usually <pre>, <code> and <p>. Inserting and Updating the db worked fine locally. Once I moved the project to a GD hosted account I get a '406 Not Acceptable' error when I attempt to update or insert content that includes opening or closing html brackets < >:

----------------------------------------------------

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /index.php/manage/addedit could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

----------------------------------------------------

If I removed the < and > from content being inserted/updated it works fine. I thought this was an encoding problem. I did find that my local database was set to utf8_unicode_ci whereas the GD live database was set to latin1_swedish_ci. I changed the live db charaset to utf8_unicode_ci but same problem.

What other checks should I make to successfully update/insert html brackets ( < > ) into the db?

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
PHP Net htmlentities

Same result after changing this:
$this->db->set('code', $_POST['code']);

to this:
$this->db->set('code', htmlentities($_POST['code'], ENT_QUOTES, "UTF-8"));

GD support narrowed it down to my code is triggering 'Mod_Security' issue. I tried turning it off with a .htaccess setting but I got more errors. Am I using htmlentities() correctly above?

If I am, any other suggestions to get html to insert to my db?

Thanks for looking.

Sorry it should have been htmlspecialchars.

You should use it on your text that you are saving to the database.

So if your saving a form textarea that would be the field that you use htmlspecialchars on.

If it is already in the database it is in the wrong format, you will need to re-save it.

Code:
$data = array(
    'code' => htmlspecialchars($this->input->post('code', TRUE), ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8');
);

Same result.

As a test, if I type only '& lt;' in the 'code' textarea I still get the 406. I'm starting to understand that my hosting company has ridiculous security settings that I can't change ( a sacrifice for such a cheap plan ).

Thanks for looking though!

&lt;

This is the hosting company that I use and to me they are one of the best.

WebHostingBuzz

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB