Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why don't we build a great CMS from Codeigniter ?

[eluser]my_immortal[/eluser]
  I had an idea that why don't we build a great CMS from Codeigniter.Like Joomla, Drupal, Mambo. I know that expression engine is good one (it commercial). but i thought it's very great thing to confirm that codeginiter is best and will enhance Codeigniter.Pls share what you guys think about this.
  I thought that over 80% of codigniter's member had more experience in programming.
Best Regards.

Sorry for my poor english. I'm not england.

[eluser]gabe[/eluser]
Nice idea my_immortal.

Just last week I was given about 3 days to create an entire CMS for a company. Impossible, even using CodeIgniter. I got the latest version of Joomla! and customised it.

However, I would be very interested in contributing to a CMS built in CI. It would be a good way for me to practice, learn some new things, and make a contribution.

[eluser]Kemik[/eluser]
The simple answer:

Because ExpressionEngine is a great CMS whose code is moving towards the same as CI.

[eluser]my_immortal[/eluser]
[quote author="Kemik" date="1203189083"]The simple answer:

Because ExpressionEngine is a great CMS whose code is moving towards the same as CI.[/quote]
But it's not open source like joomla and others.
  Nowaday, Open Source is growing very quickly. if codeigniter is not open source
did you want to paid money for one framework (great) while other is opensource.

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
This topic has been opened and discarded many times, just search the forums for 'CMS' and see what you come up with.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
There were a few attempts to build a community cms but i think they died a silent death. Do a search maybe with renewed attention they are revived.

The problem with a community cms form my point of view is there are so many great contributions you should support as many as you can. I'm talking about authentication libraries, crud generators, template libraries and others i don't think about this moment.

[eluser]Elliot Haughin[/eluser]
ive been building a cms with ci for some time now... But i didnt want to release it until it was in a good state.
This was supposed to be this weekend, but I left the power adapter for my laptop at work! I'll see if I can get it done on a different computer this weekend.

Just keep an eye on haughin.com for an update.

[eluser]kevinprince[/eluser]
Id like to see a basic library + db schema you could use to add CMS features to existing projects. But a full blown CMS is not needed.

Maybe EE could go open source Wink

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Why don't we?

1. Because my needs are different from yours which is why I am building my own from a framework.

2. The community here has been attracted by the framework and not a CMS.

3. A CMS just gets in the way if it is not built for my own purposes (see #1.)

4. If we were to build a CMS then we would just have a crappy general CMS rather than a great framework.

5. If I want a crappy general open source CMS then I would save myself some time and use an existing CMS.

6. I don't have time to work on open source projects.

Interestingly, Zend even takes these ideas further by being more like a "framework store" rather than a fully assembled framework.

[eluser]gabe[/eluser]
I have to say I agree with all your points, John. They are pretty much what I feel. Can I ask if this is why you like CI - because coding with it is more verbose than, say, Rails or Cake, but it is good you can specify everything yourself?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB