Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Would you pay for pre-packaged CI apps?

[eluser]spheroid[/eluser]
If you saw pre-packaged CI apps available, such as a shopping cart, what are your thoughts on buying them? I realise there are many free open source options, but would you be willing to pay? Just curious on what the community thinks!

[eluser]wildcard99[/eluser]
i personally like OS Solutions so theres a little or no percentage I'll buy a pre-package CI apps.. ;-P

[eluser]EugeneS[/eluser]
strange question ...

at least for developers ...

i can do it by myself in my programming style with my modules ... what the sense to pay for smth what i can do by myself (which is already done Smile )

+ i'm sure any way finally 3d party product should be costumized/integrated/improoved ... its easier to work with own solution + for example i love jquery ... but you might use smth older for effect(or even without them)

so purchasing is not an option to me at all Smile

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
I would buy if it's quality components that would save me some developpement time + if it's Open source + licensed in a form that I can resell how I want for my customers.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
Not for personal use, but if a client really needs something fast and willing to pay for something I won't maintain than I would rather suggest an app based on CI than anything else. I can think of one exception though: a well designed, well documented and well licenced webmail app I would definietly buy. (I hacked my way through DWmail but it sucked.)

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
I think the CI community is one of the few where a lot of good developers are sharing their work at no cost to others. But I think the main reason for this is because we all see that the more we do this then its likely someone would have done something we need before that we can use as well.

Owning a business in this area does make it hard for me to justify sometimes us releasing open source code but I have seen the benefits of it on here where everyone chips in to help out with your code and also everyone else releases their own code back as well.

We're all one happy chappy community here in CI land Smile

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
I wouldn't buy a cart for CI. I might buy some very well made, resaleable, well documented libraries. I'd be more likely to pay a suggested donation than to buy an application. After having spent years buying other people's stuff... most of it caused more headaches than they saved me. I imagine that's a big reason a lot of people are here.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Donation is a very good idea - I know theres a few people on here that would earn a donation from us (Matchbox and ErkanaAuth) Smile

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
I personally saw the benefits of releasing CodeExtinguisher as openly as possible...lots of bugs have been found that I wouldn't have caught. I do CodeExtinguisher to build my name and to help the community, nothing wrong with it, especially since I enjoy working on it so much...but to answer your question, no...

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Absolutely I am willing to buy scripts. I have purchased many ExpressionEngine licenses, Add-ons from Ellislab and 3rd party add-ons (mostly from Solspace.) Saying that I would not do such a thing is silly because there are many situations where it makes sense. This is true for client work and for my own business needs outside of development. My personal life is coding for fun and curiosity so I probably wouldn't buy scripts for personal usage.

However, not every business is Ellislab. They put out a product which goes much farther than a PHP script. If you can bring the same sorts of value, then you will likely find customers.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB