Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP5

[eluser]ICEcoffee[/eluser]
I know Codeigniter was originally built on PHP4 and can be used with under PHP5 engine, but is/will codeigniter be updated to PHP5? will there be any advantages in doing so?

Also, I noticed a PDO lib within the libraries list, in the wiki, I thought PDO was built on PHP5?

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
PDO is PHP5, The subject of CodeIgniter being updated to PHP5 has been well discussed before. Do a search, you will find the official answer in there somewhere.

There is a PHP5 only, CodeIgniter clone available somewhere also, try doing a Google search.

[eluser]m4rw3r[/eluser]
I personally think it is good that CI is still PHP 4 compatible, partly because of the wide use of PHP 4, but also because I can call/assign internal methods/properties of CI objects without needing to modify core files (I know it is not good OOP, but it is easier).

By the way; the name of the PHP 5 clone is called Kohana.

[eluser]mikhailt[/eluser]
PHP5 Kohana - very well.
Good bye CodeIgniter.

[eluser]ICEcoffee[/eluser]
I'M SORRY I PUT UP THIS POST - because the responses seem to be harsh or detrimental to codeigniter.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
If people don't like CI that is their right. freedom to choose Wink

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
No worries, ICEcoffee, it's a topic that tends to polarize certain developers. Incidentally, CodeIgniter uses a different base automatically depending on whether your server uses PHP4 or PHP5, giving you PHP5's advantages, and you control the code of your application, so there's nothing stopping you from writing your application to only support PHP5.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Quote:Incidentally, CodeIgniter uses a different base automatically depending on whether your server uses PHP4 or PHP5, giving you PHP5’s advantages [...]

It always cracks me up when people run off to Kohana, for this reason alone. If someone's willing to jump ship to another framework, merely because of the versions of PHP that CodeIgniter supports, well good riddance. I'd rather stick to something that works beautifully, has an excellent team backing it (that actually uses it on a daily basis, with real projects, that really make money).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB