Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Versioning

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2017, 12:49 AM by vasileios.city.)

Hello guys,

i have created my project with Codeigniter and i would like to create versioning.

The first page of my project is a login form.
The users have a version field in my database so depending on the user who has logged i would like to load the corresponding version of my project.

I have thought to use session, to change the variable $application_folder at index.php and rename the folder application with the available versions, but the index.php file has not loaded the Codeigniter yet.

How can i achieve that?

My project structure is the default by the Codeigniter and is like this

To be more clear my structure is

my project
    index.php ( $application_folder = '0.1'; )
    - system  
        - cache
        - config
        - controllers
        - views
        - cache
        - config
        - controllers
        - views
        - cache
        - config
        - controllers
        - views

Someone can help me?

(01-28-2017, 05:24 AM)vasileios.city Wrote: Someone can help me?

Why multiple versions?

I would like to have a stable/current version, the beta version, the alhpa version and the oldest versions.

Also, my project has clients and each client can be in different version.
For example X clients are in 1.1 version and Z clients are in 1.2 version and some others are in 1.3
When a client log in to my system, i know his version and i would redirect him to the correct version of my project.

If you can suggest me something else, i would like to hear it!

Thank you for your response.

(01-28-2017, 08:38 AM)vasileios.city Wrote: I would like to have a stable/current version, the beta version, the alhpa version and the oldest versions.

Also, my project has clients and each client can be in different version.
For example X clients are in 1.1 version and Z clients are in 1.2 version and some others are in 1.3
When a client log in to my system, i know his version and i would redirect him to the correct version of my project.

If you can suggest me something else, i would like to hear it!

Thank you for your response.

too much unnecessary work. Make it feature based.
Client X can use feature x and client Y can use feature x and feature y

Advantages
- no code duplication
- easy bug and security fix

Clients have packages (basic, pro, etc) for the features.
Also, i would like to have a stable/current version, the beta version, the alhpa version and the oldest versions and with your suggestion i do not solve that.

Any ideas for that i want?

Thank you again for your response.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM by albertleao.)

Nevermind, sorry, didn't read your question entirely
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

How much access to the server do you have?

If I were in your situation. I would use something like github to version your application. If you have access to your server, you can load different version of the app in different locations and then setup your http server to route accordingly
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

My only access to the server is a ftp account in order to upload my files Sad

Seems like your environment is what is hampering you. What you're wanting to do is much easier to achieve once you have full access to a server and you're able to correctly version your application. I understand that you're stuck with what you're doing now but just for futures sake, you might want to consider changing to a provider where you can correctly implement what you're trying to achieve. I'm sure you can hack the application to work the way you want it to now but you're just asking for trouble down the road.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB