Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Ecommerce website in CI

Hi,

I am going to build e-commerce website. And I need some advice.

Website specs:
1. Multilingual
2. Many brands (stores)
3. Project is my own, so CMS is not mandatory.

Questions:
1. Which framework should I choose? 
Will Codeigniter will be enough  for it, or maybe there are e-commerce frameworks built on top of CI. 
or I should choose other framework such as Laravel
2. If there is, can u share seed project links.

Is there any reason you are reinventing the wheel? Woocommerce and Magento are out there and used quite heavily. Shopify is pretty good without the need for any maintenance. There are certainly several options out there.

However, if you insist on making your own, I see no limitation with using CodeIgniter unless you haven't made an authentication system for it before.

(04-18-2017, 04:04 AM)xenomorph1030 Wrote: Is there any reason you are reinventing the wheel? Woocommerce and Magento are out there and used quite heavily. Shopify is pretty good without the need for any maintenance. There are certainly several options out there.

However, if you insist on making your own, I see no limitation with using CodeIgniter unless you haven't made an authentication system for it before.

The website is I am going to build is very specific. I am going to make an agreement with some stores and pull there stocks from directly there warehouse and sell those things that are available in there warehouse. As stores will have different APIs. I am not sure Magento can handle it.

That doesn't sound particularly unique to me. Either way, as long as you setup authentication properly, use HTTPS (Let's Encrypt makes it easy), and utilize a payment gateway like Stripe (no need to store payment information in your database), I don't see too many limitations with CodeIgniter. The only limitations may be introduced from how you decide to architect it.

thanks u for advice xenomorph1030

I've built a couple of commerce sites using CI. I find it works quite well. You can use the MVC pattern to build the shop. CI does have a shopping cart class but it is going to be deprecated soon. I've found the cart class suits my needs, but you might want to seek out an alternative.

Ben Edmonds' Ion Auth library handles authentication http://benedmunds.com/ion_auth/

For the payment gateway, I use Composer to install Omnipay https://github.com/thephpleague/omnipay

David Connelly did a massive Youtube tutorial on building a shop with CI. It consists of a stupendous 135 videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...4qIQfFQCCm

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2017, 06:33 AM by marksman.)

I think CI is good enough for the job, It always depends on the developer and how it is being planned before development. Just think of minimal dependency. Its codeigniter. Laravel is built on top of it's vendor so come to think of it.
God Bless CI Contributors Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2017, 06:54 AM by calcio.)

In my opinion use CI to do this will be very hard and difficult.

Let's the points...
  1. You'll need to create manually everything, stuffs like models, controllers, views, validations etc....
  2. (in my particular case / company) we have problems with PHP 7 (here we didn't spend much time to discover and solve it)
  3. Unfortunately CI does not follow the basic of PHP Standards (PRS') - to me it's a problem.
  4. They have a difficult and mess legacy code from EllisLab
If you want to create e-commerce by scratch, there are other frameworks will help you do it faster and better. I can list Yii Framework 2 and Laravel as you said.

But if you have domain with CI and don't mind about the points related use CI.
PHP is Life!!! See My Portfolio

@calcio, do you think all vendors of laravel follow PSR-1 and 2 standards? I don't think so.

You can follow PSR standards on CI depends on your structure, you don't have to touch system folder a lot. The point here is you know what is happening in your code and you have a freewill. I both use laravel and ci the only thing I hate about laravel is their stability they call their releases a stable release then a week later they will patch it for just a minimal changes. I hate dirty repo and I hate rebasing. Thats why.
God Bless CI Contributors Smile

Codeigniter is an excellent platform for building e-commerce applications. Speed and efficiency of the framework on the server makes a HUGE difference in e-commerce. Framework benchmark results matter - but for e-commerce these numbers are very critical. Especially if you are a small/medium business. Combine that with codeigniter's very easy to use caching - and a business can have a high performing website that can accommodate rushes of traffic and simultaneous users for peak Holiday shopping days etc.

I've used Codeigniter to integrate with payment processors, shipping services, amazon seller central, walmart, etc etc etc - and I have never had an issue with the framework. If there is development library for the API in PHP - drop it in the library folder - and it works. I'm developing an e-commerce integration with a large vendor - its using a library that requires namespaces and composer - we are running it on PHP 7 - its all working fine in codeigniter.

Besides looking at other frameworks, other choices would be - Open Source e-commerce applications. These can be stand alone like Magento, or built on top of a framework. Or SAAS like Shopify or Big Commerce. They are both rapidly adding more features and getting more developer API friendly.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB