Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why Codeigniter is better than laravel?

Hello, everybody!
Why Codeigniter is better than laravel?
Your opinion?
Thanks!

Why Codeigniter4 will be better than laravel?

@avcosh,

Your asking a question that has many different opinions depending on who you ask. I'm going to take the approach of why I like CI.

I like CI for the fact that it gives you the basics of what you need and gets out of your way. It doesn't try to cram everything into the framework. It allows you the developer to determine what is needed for your project.

It's supper fast and not held down with unnecessary features.

It has lasted the test of time.

And even though there are many other new kids on the block it still delivers (and is still widely used throughout the world).

and the list could go on ...

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018, 12:40 PM by skunkbad.)

I like CI because using it mostly stays the same over the years. That hasn't been my experience with Laravel. I can't just create a Laravel app and come back in 2 years and expect to upgrade easily. If I had started a CI app 2 years ago and needed to upgrade to CI 3.1.9 (current version), it probably would work with little or no changes to my code.

I also expect my app to reside in directories like CodeIgniter's directory structure. I don't like the way Laravel has organized my app for me. I don't like where they think controllers go. I don't like where they think views go.

I'm actually 100% okay with the idea that CodeIgniter will route to a controller/method all on its own, without specifically declaring a route. I understand the benefit of route declaration the way Laravel does it, but given the choice I'd choose CodeIgniter's routing style.

I personally prefer Lumen, even though it's assumed it should only be used for APIs. This is the main drawback for using Lumen or Laravel, that they assume too much. To me it feels like a framework for people that need help making decisions, and I like to do things my own way. Why there is Lumen says a lot about what's wrong with Laravel.

Thank you!

I use CodeIgniter since 2011, the biggest its advantage is that the framework changes slowly and that protects my investment in code.

The biggest advantage from my point of view is that CI is very light and very fast.

It has minimal opinions so you can do things how you want.

Most of my work is small Web Applications and CI does this perfectly.

Laravel is a too heavy for a lot of these tasks.

A con of CI is there is a lot of hate for it in the PHP community - but so what - I use what works and what I'm familiar with.

Finally, if CI fell over tomorrow - the applications would still be easy to understand and could be maintained by anyone half competent.

You're going to get a biased answer on this forum because it's a codeigniter forum. If you go to the Laravel forum, you'll get plenty of laravel love and lots of codeigniter bashing. If you go to other sources of information (reddit/r/php, stack overflow, amazon), you'll generally find that most people have a very negative view of codeigniter.

The fact is that both frameworks can do pretty much anything you want. Laravel has a lot baked in like authentication, file system libraries, websocket support, notifications, API libraries, and a lot more. It also come pre built with a lot of support for VueJS as a front end framework. The problem with Laravel is that unless you're willing to stay on the cutting edge, you can quickly find yourself 3-4 versions behind the latest version of Laravel and unfortunately, it's quite a pain in the a$$ to perform upgrades. They've somewhat mitigated this with LTS versions, but it's still really annoying.

Codeigniter is more of a 'micro' framework by todays standards. Out of the box it is extremely fast and easy to start customizing. It's simple to understand and has tons and tons of resources available because it hasn't changed much in the last 6-7 years. This has it's upsides in terms of stability and ease of finding help. If you're going to install everything that's in Laravel to begin with, codeigniter will lose a bit of it's speed, but at least you'll be able to pick and choose what you want.

From the discussions on the forum and some of the code I've seen on Git, CI4 is going to make giant strides towards what is considered 'modern' nowadays. It will definitely narrow a lot of the gaps between Laravel and Codeigniter as it stands now.

If I were you, I'd make sure your programming philosophy aligns more with that of Taylor Otwell or that of Kilishan and BCIT. That will probably save you headaches down the road.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(08-05-2018, 05:22 PM)zurtri Wrote: The biggest advantage from my point of view is that CI is very light and very fast.

It has minimal opinions so you can do things how you want.

Most of my work is small Web Applications and CI does this perfectly.

Laravel is a too heavy for a lot of these tasks.

A con of CI is there is a lot of hate for it in the PHP community - but so what - I use what works and what I'm familiar with.

Finally, if CI fell over tomorrow - the applications would still be easy to understand and could be maintained by anyone half competent.

Totally agree with you.
No SEO spam

I will go for Codeigniter. Because Codeigniter is a framework specially built for PHP developers. it provides simple toolkit to create fully featured web applications. If you are expert, you can install plugins or build a sub-framework, over CodeIgniter in order to replace its shortage, but if you are not an expert, you will find it complicated to use CodeIgniter.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB