Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kohana 2.1.1 vs CodeIgniter 1.6.1

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
[quote author="sikkle" date="1209070424"]At some point, if this thread stay opened, maybe the owner the the thread could add more pro and con with other framework, cakephp, symfony, picora etc. etc.

make it useful, not just boring repetition.[/quote]You know this is near impossible Smile The cons of someone are the pros of someone else. I've looked at dozens of CMS'es, comparing feature lists, reviews etc. but I still end up trying each and everyone of them. Same goes for frameworks, I think. Bottomline is, use what works for you.

On the other hand, debating pros and cons of a framework is always fruitful. It leads to insight, gives you ideas and makes you rethink workflow and what a framework should do. It can help people define what they want from their framework.

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
ya ya, i could see the use of a good up to date comparaison though, each new version bring new possibility.

At the moment, one framework could be the leader for a certain period of time, and be not for certain other period of time.

give peace a chance they says Smile

[eluser]codeamanny[/eluser]
I would suggest a wiki post, but it could turn into a war.

Maybe this would be great for a web post. With a proper indepth breakdown

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
ya ya, maybe we could just talk about weather and philosophy.

good luck!

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="codeamanny" date="1209146071"]I would suggest a wiki post, but it could turn into a war.

Maybe this would be great for a web post. With a proper indepth breakdown[/quote]

A better solution might be to start a wiki category called migration guides, then allow users to post wiki articles relating other framework features to CI features. For example, a CakePHP to CI migration guide or Kohana to CI migration guide. The migration guides could include links to other wiki articles for third-party contributions with feature sets not supported directly by CI. The obvious advantage is that these guides would give users of other frameworks a simpler learning curve because they can relate what they aready know to CI.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
It probably should be pointed out that may CI users are also Kohana users and vice versa.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="Rick Jolly" date="1208985591"][quote author="wiredesignz" date="1208972456"]K's Modules are Zach's Modules, ORM is Canglan's[/quote]
Nuhuh. K's modules are for extending the core, not organizing the application. K's ORM is similar to Buddy Bradley's Rails inspired Active Record.[/quote]

Just an assumption on my part, but the design of Kohana's cascading file system should allow the creation of alternate module paths for a modular separation scheme such as Matchbox. These could be called agents or something else to avoid confusion with Kohana modules. However, a performance hit would occur due to the additional searches through additional directory paths.

As I recall, Woody never mentioned the actual sources used as the basis for the Kohana ORM, so this is good to know. In any case, I believe that the Kohana ORM took on a life of its own as new features were added and the original code was refactored to meet Kohana conventions.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="nmweb" date="1209073011"][quote author="sikkle" date="1209070424"]At some point, if this thread stay opened, maybe the owner the the thread could add more pro and con with other framework, cakephp, symfony, picora etc. etc.

make it useful, not just boring repetition.[/quote]You know this is near impossible Smile The cons of someone are the pros of someone else. I've looked at dozens of CMS'es, comparing feature lists, reviews etc. but I still end up trying each and everyone of them. Same goes for frameworks, I think. Bottomline is, use what works for you.

On the other hand, debating pros and cons of a framework is always fruitful. It leads to insight, gives you ideas and makes you rethink workflow and what a framework should do. It can help people define what they want from their framework.[/quote]

Great post. I seem to remember a post from Rick Ellis indicating that there is no perfect framework for all users or all projects a user might undertake. What frameworks one uses is probably a matter of personal preference than anything else, but at this point in time, PHP language versions are also a consideration. If you need a PHP4/PHP5 non-strict solution, CI might be your choice. And if you need a PHP5 Strict solution, Kohana might be a good choice.

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
I would like to hop in and thank everyone in the community for the way this has been discussed so far. It's very easy for the CI vs. Foo threads to get out of hand, and particularly so with Kohana. A couple comments from users of both frameworks were perhaps a bit colored, but overall I've seen nothing making it close-worthy.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Yeah there's little harm in discussing the merits of any framework. But it is interesting to see what happens if you shake the tree a bit. People who rarely post suddenly pop out of the undergrowth. :lol:

K's modular file system does cascade but as with CI and Matchbox there can only be one Controller active per call. However dlib has introduced a Dispatch library that now allows proper MVC or HMVC interactions.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB