Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kohana 2.1.1 vs CodeIgniter 1.6.1

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty much in a little dilemma right now. I'm writing an enterprise-level software application that will be deployed on the internet on a subscription basis. I'm debating between using Kohana and CodeIgniter. Here's what I have come up with:

Kohana 2.1.1 PRO
- Fast(er)
- Community-based
- Strict PHP5 + OOP
- Retention of GET/etc
- namespace normality
- builds in Forge, Markdown, HTML Pur, etc.

Kohana 2.1.1 CON
- Rapidly changing, code must be updated per every update
- Scraps tons of CodeIgniter functionality
- Will scrap future CodeIgniter functionality (as per fork)
- Not sure if you can carry over CI functionality over to Kohana if needed

CodeIgniter 1.6.1 PRO
- More functionality
- Updates and new features, etc
- Company-based (is this a pro?)

CodeIgniter 1.6.1 CON
- Slower? (not sure)
- Still needs to retain PHP4 legacy code
- Not PHP5 strict OOP

What do you guys think I should go with? Thanks!

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
Regarding speed, there is one benchmark

I'm not sure I agree on all your pro's and con's though.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
I don't agree with all of your pros and cons either. Of course, there is much more to consider as well. For example, you'll have to invest more time to learn K.

Your candidates are very similar, so you'll be making the right choice either way.

[eluser]andjules[/eluser]
for me, documentation and community are probably more important than any of the pros/cons listed. Also, are there any plugins/modules/extensions available that might make your job easier? I think CI has a slight advantage in these departments.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
You could use CI as your base framework and KP as your learn and ideas framework. Maybe along the way it changes.

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
Let's be honest: Kohana has a great code and great modules or extensions builded in. Globally, that makes a big PRO point.

For the big CON's:

I want to say that a good code don't make it a "usable and friendly" framework. For people that don't want to dive fully into the code and jump quickly building some application, learning Kohana is that hard !

They have so poor community and poor newbie culture... That's really repulsive for newbies: Completely out of date screencasts, completely out of date tutorials, poor website, poor forums... My experience with Kohana (3 months) pushed me to get back to CI only because of the above points.

I want to add also that I am really impatient to see what will come with next CI 2.0, I am sure that will be a great thing and CI will really Kick ass.

[eluser]Sam Dark[/eluser]
K. have a good code under the hood but almost no up to date documentation. If you are good with learning by reading code — try it.

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
If you're starting out new with web development and the MVC paradigm, go with CodeIgniter. If you have a decent grip on MVC, I would recommend Kohana. Kohana forces you to code more properly. Although I do agree that CI has a better community, remember that kohana is newer, and that kohana has a more advanced following (generally speaking).

To wrap up...apart from the community (the kohana docs are a little lacking, but they're not bad), kohana would be a better choice in my opinion.

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
I like the fact that CodeIgniter is being developed by a company with a proven reason for advancing it: Profit. As Ellis Labs continues ExpressionEngine, they plan to continue refining CodeIgniter. Based on the new EE screencast, I think that we'll see some big advancements in CI in the next year or so. Those changes could be rolled into Kohana, but as it continues to fork without CI, that may be less and less simple. If you're really rolling out an enterprise application, the existence of really good documentation for future programmers on the project is ideal, and the lack of preinstalled software is only a minimal concern. CI is an excellent and lightweight framework. It doesn't do everything, but it's very well written by a team that cares about writing it well. I have nothing against Kohana, but I have a lot of faith in what EllisLabs has done and is continuing to do with CI, so it's the horse that I plan on backing.

[eluser]beemr[/eluser]
You shouldn't overlook ExpressionEngine as a CodeIgniter asset. Sure, either CI or Kohana might pimp out the corporate stuff, but what about borderline-essential projects? You know, the short-term work that ends up a long-term maintenance nightmare because it was never built within the framework because it wasn't important enough for the red tape even though they just had to have it now? Yeah, you know. When EE and CI merge, that's what EE's for. The "gotta have it but don't wanna plan for it" stuff.

There's a host of outsourcing and talent for EE work, but you will still retain the option of tieing-in with your custom, corporate CI apps.

Nowadays, frameworks are only half of the story. Mambo is being rewritten to use Cake. Rails has Mephisto. Django is part-CMS (it at least has an auth), and Akelos should be releasing its CMS soon. Of all of these, I think EE makes the wisest off-the-shelf CMS choice, and by extension, CI becomes the wisest framework choice.

Or, you could always rewire Drupal.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB