Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Flashdata not clearing on refresh/redirect

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 07:54 AM by msheath.)

Using CI 3.1.11:
I am sending a flashdata error message when a form is filled incorrectly. The message is appearing correctly but does not clear on refresh/redirect.

Controller method includes:

Code:
$this->session->set_flashdata('message', '<div class="alert alert-danger">The fields Model, Actual, Photo, Drawing and Painting can only be either blank or contain X</div>');

The session array looks like this:

Code:
array (size=5)
  'logged_in' => boolean true
  'firstname' => string 'Mike' (length=4)
  'lastname' => string 'Heath' (length=5)
  'message' => string '<div class="alert alert-danger">The fields Model, Actual, Photo, Drawing and Painting can only be either blank or contain X</div>' (length=129)
  '__ci_vars' =>
    array (size=1)
      'message' => string 'new' (length=3)
and I think the '__ci_vars' array element is what marks out 'message' as flashdata. Is that how it should appear? If correct, why does the session array stay the same when I refresh the browser tab?

I have researched this extensively via Google but have seen nothing helpful. As a further note, I have changed flashdata to tempdata with an expiry time of 10sec and the same behaviour persists. I can read the error message but it does not expire and refreshing the screen does not get rid of the message. I have to log out and log in again to do that.

May I ask why you are keeping it within your array?

(02-12-2021, 07:50 AM)demyr Wrote: May I ask why you are keeping it within your array?
I'm not doing that consciously - it just appears like that. How would I do it differently?

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 10:33 AM by demyr.)

Well,
in your controller:

1- get the data from your view (You can check the link I am leaving for step 2)
2 check if they pass your rules or not (Follow this link)
3- if yes, pass them to model.
4- if not, turn back an error (no need for flashdata).

- - - -

3- If you pass your data to model and to database successfully then you can call your flashdata, like:

PHP Code:
$data = [
  'name' => $name,
  'surname' => $surname,

etc..

];

$result $this->MyModel->lets_do_sth($data);
if(
$result){
$this->session->set_flashdata('success_message''You did it.');

redirect('lets_go_to_login');

By the way, why don't you go with CI 4?

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 10:29 AM by msheath.)

Well my existing controller method follows the same pattern:

Code:
    public function log_illustration_update($id)
    {
        $data = $this->input->post();

(($data['painting'] != 'X') && ($data['painting'] != null)) ? $entry = false : $entry = true;

if ($entry == false) {
            $this->session->set_tempdata('message', '<div class="alert alert-danger">The fields Model, Actual, Photo, Drawing and Painting can only be either blank or contain X</div>',10);
            redirect('dashboard/log_illustration_detail/'.$id);
        } else {
            $log_illustration = $this->log_illustrations_model->_update($id, $data);
            if ($log_illustration) {
                $this->session->set_flashdata('message', '<div class="alert alert-success">The log_illustration details were successfully updated!!</div>');
            } else {
                $this->session->set_flashdata('message', '<div class="alert alert-danger">There was an error and the log_illustration details were not updated</div>');
            }
            redirect('dashboard/log_illustration_detail/'.$id);
        }
    }
so I'm still baffled. And by the way I'm not new, I've been using CI for years - never had this issue before.

(02-12-2021, 02:58 AM)msheath Wrote: Using CI 3.1.11:
I am sending a flashdata error message when a form is filled incorrectly. The message is appearing correctly but does not clear on refresh/redirect.

I have the same issue after upgrading from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.0.2.

Looks like this will be fixed in 3.1.12: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/pull/6013

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 04:13 AM by Muzikant.)

I can confirm this bug in CodeIgniter 3.1.11. The flashdata are not cleared on PHP 8 and acts like normal session data.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB