Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using the calendar class for a date picker

[eluser]meigwilym[/eluser]
Hi,

I'm building a accommodation booking app.

The idea is after an accommodation type has been chosen, a calendar of available dates is displayed. This calendar should be easily browsed through to find an appropriate date.

So far I've built a page to display a calendar, with the available dates as clickable links.

Here the problems start. The accommodation type is in a hidden field on the page. If the user wishes to go to the next month, the links got to /booking/2008/06 where it shows a calendar for June 2008. However, I can't keep the accommodation type as a hidden field with this method.

Would it be possible to stick the accom type in a cookie?

And can I extend the basic HTML calendar to a user-friendlier JS calendar, using the js_calendar_pi plugin? Can this plugin be customized in the manner that I described above, with limited clickable dates?

Thanks for any help (I'm desparate!),

Best regards,

Mei

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
This actually sounds like a job best suited for javascript and ajax. You can, however, store the accomodation type in a session value. This way the type follows the user around as he/she navigates.

[eluser]nevsie[/eluser]
from a quick scan - jquery datepicker is ideal for you...

especially if you use the range option that allows you to pick two dates start and finish.
http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Datepicker

i am pretty sure you could populate this with prebooked periods as well, although i have not tried.

[eluser]meigwilym[/eluser]
Thanks for your help.

I'll take a look at the jQuery datepicker, and using a session variable had not occurred to me - Thanks.

After posting this I tried to think of other ways of presenting the data in a user friendly way. One idea I had was to show, say, the availability for the next 6 months, and able to choose from there. There would be an option to show the 6 months after that too.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again, you're making my life much easier!

Mei

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB