Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
One large application or many small applications?

[eluser]jleequeen[/eluser]
Did you utilize controllers in subfolders to manage separation between each application? Did you need to prefix the tables in the database for each application?

[eluser]RESPECT[/eluser]
@jay

cant your issue with duplicated code be simply be resolved by making a generic application (using HMVC of course) and just calling functions from it when needed?

[eluser]vendiddy[/eluser]
You could try using Matchbox or HMVC to divide your 'applications' into modules.

@vendiddy

I'm not real familiar with Matchbox or HMVC but mainly I think the fact that my apps need to share models is of main concern. While the apps may not relate very much as far as what they do, they do share user tables, and also, when an entity gets deleted from one app, it needs to be deleted from the other app as well. So, sharing models is definitely a must for integrity. I think one database helps with that, instead of multiple databases, but sharing the model is most important.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
What about application depended databases and one shared database? That way you know which data is shared and you can create a module for the shared functionalities and use that module in the different apps.

@xwero

I suppose that could work, but seems a little more complex a solution than I am looking for. Maybe a simple example would explain what one of my issues is. I currently have app1 that uses db1 and app2 that uses db2. I suppose you could almost say that app2/db2 is a sub application to app1/db1 in that, users are created in and stored in db1, and db2 has tables that reference the users in db1. What I want to keep is continuity between the two databases. So if a user gets deleted in db1...db2 is updated as well. I use MySQL by the way. In my app1 model I have a function that goes into each table where said user exists and deletes it, but I don't have that model doing anything in db2. I've had apprehension about letting a model in one app make changes in another database. It just seems that applications could become very interdepent if I started doing that. But maybe that is ok. Just never worked with multiple apps that had multiple databases all living as one big happy family.

Do you think that it is good or bad to manipulate multiple databases from within one apps model?

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
You could check my sig for a web application framework with built-in user administration. Based on CI of course.

[quote author="jleequeen" date="1223503030"]@xwero

I suppose that could work, but seems a little more complex a solution than I am looking for. Maybe a simple example would explain what one of my issues is. I currently have app1 that uses db1 and app2 that uses db2. I suppose you could almost say that app2/db2 is a sub application to app1/db1 in that, users are created in and stored in db1, and db2 has tables that reference the users in db1. What I want to keep is continuity between the two databases. So if a user gets deleted in db1...db2 is updated as well. I use MySQL by the way. In my app1 model I have a function that goes into each table where said user exists and deletes it, but I don't have that model doing anything in db2. I've had apprehension about letting a model in one app make changes in another database. It just seems that applications could become very interdepent if I started doing that. But maybe that is ok. Just never worked with multiple apps that had multiple databases all living as one big happy family.

Do you think that it is good or bad to manipulate multiple databases from within one apps model?[/quote]

Did anyone have a chance to ponder my question above?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB