Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is there an Open Source app like CushyCMS?

[eluser]matthewr[/eluser]
Hi!

I think CushyCMS is awesome. Was just wondering if any of you know an open source alternative to it? Hopefuly something done in CodeIgniter.

The part i like about it is where you'll just <div class="cushycms"> stuff and it get integrated into the Cushy Backend where one can just edit the content easily.

I don't like the fact that CushyCMS is hosted and not download-able, and the part where I have to pay to get it rebranded.

If there's an alternative to this, that'd be awesome.

Matt

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
Well, CodeIgniter is such a powerful framework, it won't be hard to do something like this yourself!

Explain how CushyCMS works.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Let me see if i understand this correctly. CushyCMS is a service you as a developer give a ftp login for a site and then you add the class crushycms to all your tags that can be changed. You make login(s) for your client and they can change page portions on your server.
So basically this is for developers who don't like to develop things Smile

The use of the class is something dreamweaver intergated when i was still using it namely editable regions. It's nothing new and it's not that hard to do yourself. What you need is a wysiswyg editor, a in place editor and an image upload tool in javascript. When you load an editable page you initialize the tools for the html you marked up with classes.

CushyCMS is a wow application for businessmen not for developers Smile

It's pretty awesome for designers actually. Basically they'll just make the design and CushyCMS takes care of content management. It'd be very useful to my team. I know it's easy to develop, just checking in case someone else has started on this. Wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel now do we?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I don't understand how it could be useful for designers, they only have to add the classes which have nothing to do with their design.

I think you can take any cms and change the way the edit page works and off you go. If you take an existing cms you don't have to code the authorization, roles, ...

One thing that bothers me in CushyCMS is the fact that you can't preview. What if the changes you make break the design. Simple example add an image that is bigger than it is supposed to be.

Useful for designers if they don't have a programmer to help them, or if they don't know how to program. Basically, CushyCMS does that for them. The thing i like about it is its simplicity and the fact that it saves a lot of time, basically.

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
There's another thing like this, named 'Typeroom'.

These tools may have their place for static websites, but I really don't see how they would fit into a CI built site. What are you going to have the customer edit? Your view files?

You obviously recognize part of the problem of a hosted solution like this. But IMHO there's a lot more to it than just branding and paying for that.
Put my ftp password to my site out there in someone's database? I don't think so. :-) With CushyCMS you can't even cancel your account. Don't look that serious to me...

At any rate, I'm using a similar approach on my sites. The CMS is built client side in ExtJS, with a some CI controller doing the backend lifting. It's an approach similar to what you see here: http://jasonleveille.com/bai_cms/. Basically given blocks in a view are marked with a class which makes them editable.

Cheers!

[eluser]charlie right[/eluser]
Hi i just got registered for the exact reason MatthewR posted this subject, does anyone know any alternative? Just a copy / paste code or something similar for those designers (like me) who love creating websites but just don't have the time or knowledge to integrate a fully blown CMS in there?

Cheers

[eluser]Kemik[/eluser]
So it basically detects crushycms in the div tag style and replaces the div with a WYSIWYG interface?

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
I am pretty sure there is not one that exists. Thats the whole reason it had gotten so much press (even a write up on Tech Crunch). I think it serves it's purpose however will not put full-fledges cms systems out of business.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB