Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter for PHP 6

[eluser]FinalFrag[/eluser]
I just finished reading this article about PHP 6. The thing that interested me most was that it will drop support for the mysql_connect(), mysql_query(), etc functions.

Although, when I look at the MySQL database driver in CI 1.6.2 I see it still uses these functions. Are there any plans on making the change in CI 1.6.3? Or am I missing something really important in the whole story? :p

[eluser]hotmeteor[/eluser]
I think PHP 6 is a bit off from being the "norm", is it not? People are still implementing 5...

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
Let's be honest though, i'm pretty sure Ci will make the change when that will make sense.

php 6 is far away from being the standard now realy.

And those change just concern database driver, no big deal.

see ya around

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
There is a mysqli driver so all you have to do is change the driver, one letter extra, in your database configuration and you are good to go. The mysqli driver should be used by default, the mysql driver should only be used when the mysqli functions aren't available.

[eluser]FinalFrag[/eluser]
I don't actually think that it's a bad thing the MySQL thing gets dropped. Personally, I would love to see a world where there is only PDO. It's much cleaner, OOP and easier to adapt to your specific database.

Although I don't like the label/goto thing in PHP 6. All these years or nice and clean coding and then something like this? In my opinion, it just makes code harder to read...

Anyway, I agree that it's not really going to be a problem. PHP 4 is still around (which it shouldn't imho). Thanks for the info though...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB