Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Multi-User File Management with CodeIgniter?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi Folks,

I'd like to hear some opinions of some experienced CI users.
I have to develop a file up-/downloading system with the following requirements:

- admin can add clients, projects and possibly subprojects (multiple projects for 1 client)
- clients can log in and see/download files that were uploaded for them (by
admin)
- clients can upload files into an selectable project (project must be assigned to customer, of course)
- clients and admin can write comments on uploaded files
- client gets notified by e-mail when admin uploads new file/writes new comment
- admin gets notified by e-mail when client uploads new file/writes new comment

I've already done a little, less complex, file uploading script in CodeIgniter using freak_auth for authentication and was quite satisfied with it. Just haven't really used models yet, that was rather dirty, I guess.

Now, I got attracted by cakePHP for it's built-in authentication. The documentation of cake seems bad compared to CI, though. Also Cake doesn't have a built-in upload helper class.

CakePHP on the other side doesn't seem to offer any helpers for file
uploads, which CI does.

I know, it's kinda stupid to ask inside the CI forums if you'd prefer some other framework over CI. I'd be just glad if someone would convince me, CI is the tool of the trade to get this thing well done Wink

Talking 'bout freak_auth: Is this great class still being activly developed? It's been a while since the last time it got updated, so I'm just wondering...

Regards,
Daniel

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Ask yourself... after reading your post and being as completely objective as possible, I deduced the following:

CakePHP's documentation sucks, there are no helpers, but it has authentication built-in.
CodeIgniter's documentation rocks, there are helpers, but you have to use a third-party for authentication.

The decision seems obvious to me...

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hehe you're right - while writing my posting I started seeing things similar.
Still just like to listen to some opinions.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
I look at CakePHP at least once a month - I want to use it, I really do. But... the documentation is the one thing holding me back - it just sucks.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB