Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points?

A good topic for your "switching" series would be to explore how to initialize objects that are used every time the system runs. In other words, point out (again) that autoloading has a different meaning in CI v4.

Been using CI since 2.x and have a couple of projects running CI3. Getting my feet wet in CI4 for a possible new project and has started with beta4.
Two topics I'd like to see being discussed:
1. Why should I migrate to CI4 instead of another PHP framework? All my CI3 code needs to be rewritten, restructured and (most importantly) retested anyway. I love CI3 for the simplicity and speed, something I'm yet to see in CI4 that I think is dog-slow compared to my projects running in CI3.
2. Explain the reason for all the magic going on behind the scenes in CI4 compared to CI3. Specially when it comes to models that I could see being useful, but I don't understand how to use it properly.

I would like to start with CI4, but how do I get the documentation in a readable format?

(08-10-2019, 02:52 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: I would like to start with CI4, but how do I get the documentation in a readable format?

I've been using this: https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...index.html

Quote:I've been using this: https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide...index.html

Thanks!!!
Thumbs Up 

(08-09-2019, 10:30 PM)tgix Wrote: Been using CI since 2.x and have a couple of projects running CI3. Getting my feet wet in CI4 for a possible new project and has started with beta4.
Two topics I'd like to see being discussed:
1. Why should I migrate to CI4 instead of another PHP framework? All my CI3 code needs to be rewritten, restructured and (most importantly) retested anyway. I love CI3 for the simplicity and speed, something I'm yet to see in CI4 that I think is dog-slow compared to my projects running in CI3.
2. Explain the reason for all the magic going on behind the scenes in CI4 compared to CI3. Specially when it comes to models that I could see being useful, but I don't understand how to use it properly.

it also happens to me

My opinions:
1. CI4 keeps the CodeIgniter philosophy while embracing modern web development practices and versions of PHP. The nature of language development means older versions of software will inherently be less optimized. If you loved CodeIgniter 1-3 because of it’s simplicity and only-use-what-you-need philosophy then CI4 carries that same opportunity still, despite other PHP frameworks being much more developed.
2. I would hear more about what you feel is “magic”. My guess is that probably it is mostly just “new”, and magic and new are both shiny. What I like about all the CodeIgniters are that they don’t do anything until you tell them. The Model comes prepped with common CRUD functions, as do Resource controllers and API traits and other classes made to fill a function, but none of them are mandatory. CI4 is very good about providing interfaces so developers can implement their own layers for whatever they want, and even the bundled classes work through services so you can replace any pieces you want and keep others.

I love CI4, I believe CI3 is legacy software and should be maintained but not used for new projects. CI4 is a huge change in implementation but with a consistent philosophy on development.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB