Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Reactor vs Core

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
[quote author="Vheissu" date="1294290231"]It would be nice if everyone else like myself could contribute as well. Is it only the six "chosen ones" allowed to make changes and recommendations or is anyone allowed to submit changes and additions as well? I might only be new to Codeigniter, but I feel as though my many years of PHP experience are more than enough.[/quote]

You will be able to contribute as well, just not directly as an editor of the Reactor fork.
Whenever you have an idea/suggestion or coded feature you can use the Uservoice forum or add your contributed code to bitbucket which then will be evaluated by the Reactor team and so on.

[eluser]bl00dshooter[/eluser]
Anyone knows when Reactors first version is cuming out?

I have good feelings about this.

[eluser]ecsyle31[/eluser]
[quote author="CoolGoose" date="1294262826"]Why should I have to add every single damn time the same damn libraries that do the same function to compensate for what's missing in the damn core ?

Ever heard of DRY ?[/quote]

Is it that hard to maintain your own package that includes all the libraries, etc, that you use on a regular basis? Why force that extra weight on those of us who don't care for most 3rd party libraries, or have our own company libraries, etc?

You don't need to download CI every single time you do a project. It's not updated that often. Keep a local copy, with the extra libraries and basic config already to go. Then use that as a base. Save yourself some time.

Quote:Ever heard of DRY ?

lol

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="Vheissu" date="1294290231"]It would be nice if everyone else like myself could contribute as well. Is it only the six "chosen ones" allowed to make changes and recommendations or is anyone allowed to submit changes and additions as well? I might only be new to Codeigniter, but I feel as though my many years of PHP experience are more than enough.[/quote]

Of course Vheissu, that is the entire point! The code will be publicly available on BitBucket and any chances you may have can be easily sent in via a pull request. You write the code and now you have 6 people who are more than happy to review, test and merge, instead of the 2 (Greg and Pascal) who are already over-worked making an awesome CMS and hosting service. This is not about elitism, this is about making some people who really care about the framework available to help improve it with the help of the community.

[quote author="rlindauer" date="1294295647"]Is it that hard to maintain your own package that includes all the libraries, etc, that you use on a regular basis? Why force that extra weight on those of us who don't care for most 3rd party libraries, or have our own company libraries, etc? [/quote]

This has nothing to do with extra libraries at all. We are helping to improve the framework itself. You can keep your own libraries and nothing crazy will be forced on you, we are just helping to open up and improve the development of the framework we all use and love.

Seriously, how are people giving this such bad press? Before you had minimal development, now you have a team of people dedicating their own time to help add in the features you want and people are still complaining? I'm stunned.

[eluser]Kindari[/eluser]
Hey Phil, Just shun the non believers Smile

I am eagerly awaiting to see what Reactor has to offer, Honestly I can't see any problems with it. The team picked to manage reactor is all people who I've seen make a lot of contributions to codeigniter, the community, libraries and other tutorials. Most of what I learned from Codeigniter is from These "engineers" own code they've released.

I don't understand the gripe either, but some people just don't like change, even if its to benefit the community.

[eluser]lennierb5[/eluser]
As someone who will soon be finishing their first PHP application in CI I am very glad to see Reactor coming along. After reviewing more frameworks during my development process I was really worried at the lack of updates to CI compared to other frameworks.

Hopefully Reactor will keep me from cheating on CI Smile

Also, I think it's crazy that some people here would complain and personally attack some of the developers over a FREE framework made to HELP THEM. If you aren't happy with CI or CI Reactor then simply don't use it! Instead of complaining use that time to research other frameworks or build your own.

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
I certainly won't be complaining about Reactor. Reactor is very necessary.

I am the type of person, however, that will wait for version 8 of a program to come out before I upgrade to version 7, because when I've got something that already works for me, I don't change it very often. I'm still using MS Office 2000 after 10 years. When it comes to upgrading my framework, I want it to work with my web sites, but I don't want to have to upgrade my websites very often. That's extra work on my end that I don't want to have to deal with. That's probably the biggest reason I won't jump to Reactor, and if I do, I won't keep it updated as regularly as Reactor updates, just so I don't have to change my code base as often.

However, I am jumping on the 2.0 bandwagon, because I like the way it separates things into packages and gets rid of plugins. I also like dropping PHP 4 support and having more PHP 5 functionality. I will be following what Reactor does, because I may want to merge some of their work into my core if it strikes me.

The real power of Reactor is not in "bells and whistles" because that isn't what I understood the project to be about. It's about getting changes made faster, because the whole community is now able to participate and submit code for review, which is reviewed by 6 vetted programmers who will then decide what is best for the project and submit it. Once placed into Reactor, then EllisLab will take it and examine it to see if it should become part of Core. That way, EllisLab doesn't have to look at everyone who started to program PHP 2 days ago and see what changes they think should be made.

I can't think of a better system to get CodeIgniter moving forward.

Think of it this way... "Reactor" is what "reacts" to the suggestions we make and the bugs we report to make CodeIgniter better, faster, and more stable than ever before in the past. No, I won't complain about it. I'll give my support to those working on it, even if I don't adopt it as my main code base, which I probably won't partially due to my aversion to the $_GET support (yes, I know it can be turned off, but on by default offends my CodeIgniter programming ways), and partially due to "I don't like to upgrade more than every 6 months unless it's a security fix."

[eluser]luke holder[/eluser]
when i say suckorz, I mean it is drawing you away from fuelphp phil!

fuel will not have such a steep learning curve once I submit my intro docs to the fuel docs repo.

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1294296426"]Seriously, how are people giving this such bad press?[/quote]
Because of you Phil - haven't you figured that out yet?

And as Daniel Moores wonderful post says, having to upgrade/patch more than once a month is just awful for production (which I still believe we have to unless you really are careful about this) considering all the changes you want to make in one go (you honestly going to believe that it's going to be bug free every patch? *cough* #fuelbot (freenode) *cough*)

Hey I'll be using Reactor some time too, but I still agree with wiredesignz (and others -- oh crap... right?)

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="Daniel Moore" date="1294306342"]The real power of Reactor is not in "bells and whistles" because that isn't what I understood the project to be about. It's about getting changes made faster, because the whole community is now able to participate and submit code for review, which is reviewed by 6 vetted programmers who will then decide what is best for the project and submit it. Once placed into Reactor, then EllisLab will take it and examine it to see if it should become part of Core. That way, EllisLab doesn't have to look at everyone who started to program PHP 2 days ago and see what changes they think should be made. [/quote]

Spot on. This is exactly how it has been explained, yet people still seem to be confused.

[quote author="Daniel Moore" date="1294306342"]due to my aversion to the $_GET support[/quote]

What is the downside to GET string support? You can totally ignore it, it just mean $this->input->get() actually works (when and if you use it). It doesn't need you to change anything in your application, it just means if you want those variables they are there. :coolsmile:

[quote author="Dennis Rasmussen" date="1294322205"]And as Daniel Moores wonderful post says, having to upgrade/patch more than once a month is just awful for production (which I still believe we have to unless you really are careful about this) considering all the changes you want to make in one go[/quote]

Who said you will need to patch more than once a month? And who said we are making loads of changes? The last 5 commits I made were bug fixes!

I am not creating this bad press, you guys are inventing it. No matter how Reactor is explained people will complain. Too much change, not enough change, too many people have access, not enough people have access.

We are just some guys helping to get bugs and patches done quicker. Can we stop the negativity until you have something visible to be negative about.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB