Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Requests and Responses in CI4: an Overview

Just wanted to let you guys know I posted a short blog post that provides a 100-mile overview of how to work with the new Requests and Responses. Hopefully it will help ease your mind about how scary change might be. Smile

In intend to start doing small overview posts like this every couple of weeks, or until I run out of material that's firm enough (or exciting enough) to talk about, so if there's anything in particular you want me to discuss, just let me know.

Pretty interesting! Can't wait to read more about CI4.
Best regards,
José Postiga
Senior Backend Developer

(03-02-2016, 11:26 PM)kilishan Wrote: Just wanted to let you guys know I posted a short blog post that provides a 100-mile overview of how to work with the new Requests and Responses. Hopefully it will help ease your mind about how scary change might be. Smile

In intend to start doing small overview posts like this every couple of weeks, or until I run out of material that's firm enough (or exciting enough) to talk about, so if there's anything in particular you want me to discuss, just let me know.

Can you write more about content negotiation?

Hello, Lonnie! Be sure to keep writing, it will be interesting Smile

(03-03-2016, 02:24 AM)orionstar Wrote: Can you write more about content negotiation?

That sounds like a great next topic. Will do.

Thanks for taking your time to share some inside information about the changes about to come in the next release. I really appreciate it.

Although I do hate the BC issue 4.0 will bring, I do understand that once in a while you have to make some radical changes in design in order to move forward (even how painful it will be for me to manage upgrading a few xxx clients).

I wonder, have their been any thoughts or decisions made about when 3.x will be EOF? For example, support for 3.x will be dropped 1 year after the release of 4.0, or it will be dropped when 5.0 will be released, etc? I believe it's good to have some clarity about this before 4.0 will be released.

I'm kind of interested to see how this is used in conjunction with views as we know them in CI3-. I know your blog post references headers and redirects usage for the Response class, but will we also use it for output of loaded views?

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 04:46 PM by kilishan.)

(03-03-2016, 04:00 PM)Diederik Wrote: I wonder, have their been any thoughts or decisions made about when 3.x will be EOF? For example, support for 3.x will be dropped 1 year after the release of 4.0, or it will be dropped when 5.0 will be released, etc? I believe it's good to have some clarity about this before 4.0 will be released.

There has not been a specific timeframe determined yet, just that it will be a pretty good length since the 3.x and 4.x branches are so different.

(03-03-2016, 04:29 PM)skunkbad Wrote: I'm kind of interested to see how this is used in conjunction with views as we know them in CI3-. I know your blog post references headers and redirects usage for the Response class, but will we also use it for output of loaded views?

Views are output very similar to how they are currently, but there is a global function available, view() that is used instead of $this->load>view(). So it would be something like this:

Code:
public function index()
{
    $data = [...];

echo view('user/profile', $data);
}

There's more to behind the scenes, of course, and that will definitely get a blog post of its own. Smile

Thanks the article!

By the way, your blog pages have all the same title "New Myth Media Blog".
Would you please add article title in an article page?
In this case, not "<title>New Myth Media Blog</title>", but something like "<title>Requests and Responses In CodeIgniter 4: New Myth Media Blog</title>".

(03-03-2016, 02:24 AM)orionstar Wrote: Can you write more about content negotiation?

Done. See this thread for all new posts.

(03-03-2016, 06:06 PM)kenjis Wrote: By the way, your blog pages have all the same title "New Myth Media Blog".
Would you please add article title in an article page?
In this case, not "<title>New Myth Media Blog</title>", but something like "<title>Requests and Responses In CodeIgniter 4: New Myth Media Blog</title>".

Dang. You're right. Well, it's running on a quick flat-file blog system I put together over a few days of spare time, so that doesn't surprise me. Smile Will fix it, but can't guarantee when. Up against a fairly tight milestone deadline at the moment, and my open-source time for the day is over after the latest blog post.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB