Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Thie forum feature is annoying

Hello;

It's very annoying that you don't allow posts to appear unless approved! No development forum works like that!
I recommend you change that. This is Codeigniter forum no one's gonna post inappropriate things.
You are being too conservative and it causes inconvenience for users. If you are worried about spams, apply better captcha data.
How it currently is working is definitely wrong.

Thanks

I purge 1-3 spammers a DAY, seven days a week.
The policy will stand, sorry!

@ciadmin : Is there any way that the user himself can see his post before approval? If not, please allow at least the poster to see/change his post.

(01-14-2015, 11:19 PM)sujit510 Wrote: @ciadmin : Is there any way that the user himself can see his post before approval? If not, please allow at least the poster to see/change his post.

You should be able to "preview post" before you commit it ... that should be a button along the bottom beside the "post" button, no?

I took a look at the board configuration settings, and I don't see anything that would allow a new user/poster to see their posts while they await moderation.

(01-14-2015, 10:53 PM)ciadmin Wrote: I purge 1-3 spammers a DAY, seven days a week.

Hey kid;

If have to purge 1-3 spammers a DAY, it means you should work on your capcha. This is not 2002 anymore. Web tech has developed more than you seem to know. Do some research, look at Stack forums, Devshed and a few heavy weight one.

Friend, just put ego aside at least till the forum develops and you get some traffic.

Also as admin member of a forum, it would be nice to say 'hi', or 'hello' before you write your cold dry rejection reply.

What always made Codeigniter different was the amazing manual and cool support team. It's ok to be bit more friendly.

I so hope you're not an inexperienced uni student.

Cheers.

@behnampmdg3 wow... so much rant... Don't worry, this happens only on your first one or two posts.

(01-14-2015, 11:35 PM)behnampmdg3 Wrote:
(01-14-2015, 10:53 PM)ciadmin Wrote: I purge 1-3 spammers a DAY, seven days a week.

Hey kid;

If have to purge 1-3 spammers a DAY, it means you should work on your capcha. This is not 2002 anymore. Web tech has developed more than you seem to know. Do some research, look at Stack forums, Devshed and a few heavy weight one.

Friend, just put ego aside at least till the forum develops and you get some traffic.

Also as admin member of a forum, it would be nice to say 'hi', or 'hello' before you write your cold dry rejection reply.

What always made Codeigniter different was the amazing manual and cool support team. It's ok to be bit more friendly.

Cheers.

Oh wise one, would you point me at a MyBB plugin/setting that would have the desired "with-it" effect?
Most of the plugins did not seem to be ported to MyBB1.8, the last time I checked.
The captcha appears to be standard MyBB config, and I haven't seen any helpful suggestions online for 1.8 yet.

StackOverflow ... I registered there with only a valid email address. No skill-testing question, no captcha.

DevShed ... no captcha, but a skill-testing question, and they want a "reason" for joining before they approve you. Does that mean that they "moderate" new users too, in a way?

So, following your suggestion, we should only ask "5 + 3 =?" and let any successful registrant post away? Hmmmm.
Remember the forum when it was on ellislab.com? There were a few periods when there was more spam than real user posts, sometimes by a factor of 10 to 1.

This forum is moderated by volunteers, and we only have so many hours to devote to the task.
I don't want to allow wide open registration, and have to check new posts every x minutes Sad
This is a matter of practicality, and not of ego.

Respectfully yours,
Jim Parry

ps - the ink on my degree has had 40 years to dry

Hey kid;

Cheers.

Unfortunately, even the best Captcha's will sooner or later be broken by new technologies. I'm not sure if you've even used reCaptcha before; its not full proof as you may think. Its why people are always inventing new ways to check if the person is not a robot. Adding layers of captchas can do more harm then good.

Hey kid;

Cheers.

Hey, "kid".

You're being extremely rude and prejudiced (Jim Parry is ~2 times my age, not an inexperienced uni student) for somebody who wants to give the "say hello say hello and be friendly" advice to people. If I was a forum admin, I'd put your account under a permanent "must review" policy where ALL of your posts have to get approved by a moderator, not just the first 1-3 ones.

I favor a captcha solution over manual moderation too, but if you want to get somebody to do something, I suggest you be nicer to them and try to help with it instead of ranting and demanding.

i agree with Narf here. Being rude and ignorant towards the CI Admin team is not the way to go about making suggestions. there is no need for it.

---
As a forum admin myself for several sites i can tell you it is not easy to keep away bots or spammers. Although i have been lucky lately with security measures on these sites to combat them that has not always been the case. Give it time, and as time goes by better methods will be implemented that will make it better for all of us.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB